Author Topic: Is Yaremchuk right that Sliding Genioplasty can be disfiguring?  (Read 14963 times)

notrain

• Private
Re: Is Yaremchuk right that Sliding Genioplasty can be disfiguring?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 06:36:40 AM »
Regarding lip position, what does this mean for people whose lips are already in the correct position? I wondered about this a bit the other day as I was jutting my jaw out. I realised that even a small advancement of my jaw my lips look weird. Is there a way to advance the jaw with BSSO without affecting the lips? Mind you my recession is mild so it won't be a big advancement.

Your lips are in the correct position because your teeth are actually in an incorrect position - they push against the lower lip to make it meet the upper (if you are class 2). In preparation for surgery, your lower front teeth will be uprighted and pulled back, making your lower lip collapse behind the upper. after surgery, your lip will be supported by the bone and the teeth in the correct position in relation to the upper.

A big part of orthodontic camouflage of skeletal malocclusions is to use the teeth to mask the skeletal issue. once you are fully decomped (i.e. teeth are in the position where they are supposed to be in their relative arches) you can see how big of a difference this really makes. that's why people look so utterly retarded in their preop pics.

applejuice

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 06:49:27 AM »
Unless you are me and look still retarded after surgery :D
I had decomp and lower jaw advancement and my lower lip is still recessed.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 07:07:21 AM »
i forgot, did you have lower extractions for decomp or not ? if not, how much advancement did they manage without extractions? since the dentition has naturally occuring compensation, it couldn't have been more than 6mm sans extractions ? are you at least class 1 bite wise (i am class 2 skeletal and angle class II/1)?

applejuice

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 07:19:36 AM »
No extractions, 6 mm advancement and now im class 1.

Serra

• Private
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 12:26:36 PM »
I have a pretty bad step-off on one side only. Mostly visible when I smile... a strange looking line on my right side. I'm pretty sure my surgeon doesn't use HA paste at all, but he's just an average maxfac kind of deal.

Were you told why you have a bad step off on one side only? I have the same thing.

screwsandplates

• Private
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 01:02:21 PM »
It happened to me. I have little notches along my jawline, but I love how my chin looks and think it's a fair trade-off. I hated my implant.