Author Topic: Re: Nose Widening (when smiling)  (Read 5742 times)

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Nose Widening (when smiling)
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 10:33:41 PM »
Which one? There're two links. I can see maybe one or two in the first link whose chin/jaw region from the front profile looks a bit off on one side, but most of them look the same from what they originally were, slightly asymmetrical or not, to me.. I think I'm going to end up choosing a terrible surgeon..  :'( lol

to clarify, there is a lot of asymmetry in the "amazingfaces" patients. I don't think that degree of asymmetry is acceptable post-op, even if it was(especially) existent presurgery.

And the second link, the reynolds patients have all received horrible nosejobs(most of them) though his jaw surgery results seem adequate.

In my experience there are really only one or two really well-known accomplished maxillofacial surgeons in any state. Like the head of maxillofacial surgery at the major university near where I live told me there are only two docs he would even allow me to have my surgery with if I chose to stay in area (and this is a major city). So I really think you need to do a bit of research and get several opinions on the surgeon, see a bunch of before and afters, talk to other patients, compare treatment plans etc. You should basically do this with any elective surgery.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 07:42:56 AM »
I am also very scared about the nostrils and tip of nose widening when smiling.     A lot of before and after pics show a closed mouth smile in those beginning months after surgery and in this pics the noses look good.   It seems that much later in recovery when people can smile fully with all teeth showing that I have seen some disturbing largeness/ wideness to the lower third of the nose.   I have seen this in A/G patients as well as others.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 10:35:43 AM »
5-10mm upper jaw advancement

Hellojoe

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 07:18:43 AM »
s**t like this makes me uncertain of whether I want to go through surgery. I wouldn't want my nose to change one bit, since it is in my opinion optimally proportioned as is. Widening it by 3mm's would definitely have a negative effect on the appearance of it. I hate these kind of trade-offs. The thing about it is that I'm really happy with how I look from the front, apart from the slight asymmetry in my jaws. Having this corrected with the trade-off of having a 1mm wider nose would be worth it, but 3mm's is a bit much, really... :-\

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 02:34:11 PM »
There are a few surgeons in Europe who get around this problem by not releasing the septal muscles - guess this means they don't cut them?

gs839

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 05:31:51 AM »
I had this.... settles down after about a year :)

http://steffies-orthognathic-surgery.blogspot.co.uk/

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 06:19:52 AM »
I didnt even realize you could get sinus infections from the swelling, sounds annoying.  I hate antibiotics..i think im resistant to a lot of them