Author Topic: Damon Braces in preparation for upper jaw surgery?  (Read 1564 times)

mynameis

Damon Braces in preparation for upper jaw surgery?
« on: June 19, 2015, 12:11:25 PM »
Having had conventional extraction orthodontics when younger as well as having a jaw a bit too far back I have also a very narrow arch.

Anyone know if damon braces to widen the arches could be done as part of preparation for maxillary advancement?

PloskoPlus

Re: Damon Braces in preparation for upper jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 03:02:47 PM »
Having had conventional extraction orthodontics when younger as well as having a jaw a bit too far back I have also a very narrow arch.

Anyone know if damon braces to widen the arches could be done as part of preparation for maxillary advancement?
Braces are braces.  What do they have to do with widening arches?  The only way to widen the maxilla in an adult is with SAPRE.

Serra

• Private
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 02:19:34 PM »
My arch was very slightly widened with normal self-ligating braces.

Some (not many) professionals say slow palatal expanders work, but you need to find someone who uses them.

needadvancement

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 02:33:58 PM »
The only way this could for for an adult is if the jaws have enough bone mass/room for the teeth to shift apart, and I doubt that adults generally have that kind of potential. Otherwise it's not going to be stable at all.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 10:11:32 PM »
There's different kinds of movements in orthodontics. True, a lateral movement is best when possible. That tends to happen in the posterior teeth I think because the bone is thicker. Most often I think they just tip the teeth slightly. I think it works because the molars aren't too visible and it still provides a functional occlusion. I've read that up to 5mm expansion is considered stable without periodontal defects. I don't know how much I'm getting but I'd get 2-4mm. Relapse rates are high, up to 50%, and unpredictable in expansion surgeries, which is why up to a point some surgeons don't like them. SARME is supposed to be more stable and can provide up to 7mm expansion while a segmental LeFort can provide up to 4mm but has the advantage of vertical movements (and associated relapse risks) if desired too of course. I don't know if these numbers are per side or total and I'm just recalling from memory. Either way, with every surgery you get some loss of bone blood flow, 20% permanently according to a recent paper. It may never matter or it may not matter for a long time but there's a risk of tooth loss each time and the risks increase with repeat surgeries, prior trauma, and proximity to the osteotomy site.

I looked at slow palatal expansion too. At the surface it's appealing but look long enough and you realize why orthodontists don't do it. I found a few anecdotes of people who did it and they all seemed to seriously regret it. I don't recall the details but I saw some slides I think from an orthodontist describing all the problems that happen when it fails. I still think there's hope with osteoblast stimulators like Exogen/Acceledent (LIPUS) and Orthopulse (low-intensity near-infrared) but it'll be 5 years before anyone gets around to testing it.