Author Topic: Head Tilt  (Read 1018 times)

JayJaw

Head Tilt
« on: June 15, 2015, 08:07:06 AM »
There is one thing that has confused me while researching jaw surgery, facial balance, etc.

HEAD TILT - it changes everything.

I have seen before and after pictures where the primary change looked to be head tilt. Then others that seem fine until you pay attention to their low ear position and "upturned" nose.

So, is there any way to objectively determine the appropriate head tilt for someone? There is the frankfurt plane, but is this 100% or do some people actually have low vs. high set ears? You could look at the eyes, perhaps, to ensure they are centered and that would imply the proper tilt? Still, maybe they are just correcting for a long and recess maxilla that would show sclera show when head is tilted evenly.

Beyond the face, jaw, and all of that, it matters for proper posture too. For instance, when I get my neck upright and then get my face in the frankfurt plane, it definitely begins to constrict my airway. I know I have a small/recessed lower jaw, but it goes from constricting to "fine" depending on my head tilt... so it's hard to tell.

Anyway, I feel as if it's a pretty important discussion since without addressing head tilt, everything else becomes hard to evaluate objectively.

terry947

Re: Head Tilt
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 07:51:39 PM »
when you fix your posture it probably feels like you're breathing is restricted because of:

a) recessed upper and or lower jaw
b) excessive cervical curve

Alue

• Private
Re: Head Tilt
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 02:22:44 AM »
You've been looking at Sailer before and afters haven't you?