Author Topic: Long lower face  (Read 2069 times)

Sonia90

Long lower face
« on: June 18, 2015, 09:39:36 PM »
Hi I'm new to this. I have a long lower face which has been a concern for me for a while now. I don't have long face syndrome but i have slight to moderate (more moderate I'd say) verticall maxillary excess. I also have a slightly long philtrum. Those two things give me a long mid face, my chin and jawline are okay but it has grown more vertically downwards although that's not my main concern. My main concern is my long mid face when I laugh or smile naturally i have a gummy smile (although I can control it and hide it most times) I have straight teeth but my overbite is 80%. I consulted with two jaw surgeons one of them said upper jaw surgery would benefit me and other one said he could do other things to make my face look shorter instead of doing something invasive. My orthodontist said yes I do have verticall maxilary excess and a gummy smile but said its not severe at all and I already have good facial esthetics so i might not like the turn out of surgery. He suggested an intrusion of the anterior teeth and some crown lengthening after to take away some gum to reduce the gummy smile. I don't think that would fix the long midface problem tho? I would only need to remove a little bit of bone if I got the surgery because I only have slight to moderate vertical maximally excess. If I were to do the surgery would my face change a whole lot, cuz I don't want my face to completely change I just want shorter midface? Would intrusion of upper front teeth help shorten face?

PloskoPlus

Re: Long lower face
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 10:05:02 PM »
Post pictures.

Serra

• Private
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 02:07:43 PM »
Ask about intruding the posterior teeth as well, as in the entire arch(es). This has been mentioned in scant literature/case studies to slightly shorten the face. Please post back with their answers! :)

Sonia90

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 04:16:06 PM »
Okay I will! Thanks so much!! I'm seeing my ortho soon so I'll bring that up for sure

Serra

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 07:30:11 AM »
Thank you! ;) It's worth noting that intrusion using TADs/miniscrews is relatively recent in the grand scheme of things and not widely used by many orthodontists, so finding orthodontists who actually have experience using them and getting multiple opinions is also important.