Author Topic: Lefort to set midface back instead of foward?  (Read 1840 times)

Andrewj26

Lefort to set midface back instead of foward?
« on: July 22, 2015, 06:22:19 PM »
It appears that most people get the lefort operation to set the midface forward, but can it be used to set the midface back? I dont have a over projecting face but i was just wandering.

PloskoPlus

Re: Lefort to set midface back instead of foward?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 06:43:58 PM »
It appears that most people get the lefort operation to set the midface forward, but can it be used to set the midface back? I dont have a over projecting face but i was just wandering.
Yes. Very rare and mostly performed on Asians for maxillary prognathism.

Andrewj26

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 07:18:45 PM »
Interesting. I wander if the lefort III can set back the entire mid face back my a decent amount. I wander if it is any more or less of a risk than advancement. I

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:00:38 PM »
It can be done but as PloskoPlus said, you'd better have a damn good reason. Mandibular prognathism is often really maxillary hypoplasia but many practitioners don't recognize it. Cervical-pull headgear should require prescription from multiple orthodontists and oral surgeons before being permitted for use IMO. The reason maxillary prognathism is so uncommon is that soft tissue is very effective at holding back excessive growth in this location while there's nothing to stop maxillary hypoplasia. Orthodontists like to treat it because it allows them to fix malocclusions without surgery that won't noticeably cause problems for years or decades even and what problems it causes, patients have difficulty attributing to the orthodontist. Even with a true prognathism, the risks from impeding growth may still outweigh the gains. Better to leave the maxilla alone or even pull it forward and plan on surgery to bring the mandible to match it later. More invasive but it's the right thing to do. Least complications in the long run and best outcome.