Author Topic: Surgery with Triaca  (Read 5720 times)

smic

Surgery with Triaca
« on: August 07, 2015, 07:30:41 AM »
Hello everyone,

After having had braces for years and wisdom teeth removed when I was younger (to fix an overbite), I'm not satisfied with the appearance of my jaw: my chin is pretty recessed and my lower jaw points down instead of being close to horizontal (if you know what I mean), giving me a long face with an almost non-existent jawline. In the last couple of months, I did some research and came to the conclusion that this might very well also be why I snore so loudly and have difficulty breathing when I lie on my back.

From what I've gathered, and correct me if I'm wrong, the way to fix this would be: Lefort to bring my maxilla forward, BSSO with a rotation to lengthen my lower jaw and get everything more horizontal. With this I could get a chin wing to correct asymmetries and widen my lower jaw. Maybe get zygomatic osteotomy to make my cheekbones pop out more and achieve the appearance of a wider face.

A couple of questions:
  • Are my assumptions correct regarding the surgeries I should get?
  • I have implants (bottom premolars on either side because my adult teeth never came in), will this be a problem?
  • Is it possible to get the chin wing and zygo done (months? years?) later if I'm tight on the money? What will be the impact on my appearance from only the advancements?

Now as I live in Switzerland, Dr. Triaca seems like the obvious choice, and he has a pretty good reputation. The only bad thing I've heard about him is the price. Can anyone here tell me how much all of this would approximately cost? I'm still a student and I've put some money to the side from various side jobs, but obviously price is a pretty important factor for me.

Dr. Zarrinbal has a very good reputation too, and might be cheaper. Germany isn't far away, so I could consider him too. But if the price difference isn't that big, I'd rather stay in Switzerland.

Thanks in advance for your answers, they'd bring me some much-needed peace of mind!

Bobbit

Re: Surgery with Triaca
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 09:45:59 PM »
Hello everyone,

After having had braces for years and wisdom teeth removed when I was younger (to fix an overbite), I'm not satisfied with the appearance of my jaw: my chin is pretty recessed and my lower jaw points down instead of being close to horizontal (if you know what I mean), giving me a long face with an almost non-existent jawline. In the last couple of months, I did some research and came to the conclusion that this might very well also be why I snore so loudly and have difficulty breathing when I lie on my back.

From what I've gathered, and correct me if I'm wrong, the way to fix this would be: Lefort to bring my maxilla forward, BSSO with a rotation to lengthen my lower jaw and get everything more horizontal. With this I could get a chin wing to correct asymmetries and widen my lower jaw. Maybe get zygomatic osteotomy to make my cheekbones pop out more and achieve the appearance of a wider face.

A couple of questions:
  • Are my assumptions correct regarding the surgeries I should get?
  • I have implants (bottom premolars on either side because my adult teeth never came in), will this be a problem?
  • Is it possible to get the chin wing and zygo done (months? years?) later if I'm tight on the money? What will be the impact on my appearance from only the advancements?

Now as I live in Switzerland, Dr. Triaca seems like the obvious choice, and he has a pretty good reputation. The only bad thing I've heard about him is the price. Can anyone here tell me how much all of this would approximately cost? I'm still a student and I've put some money to the side from various side jobs, but obviously price is a pretty important factor for me.

Dr. Zarrinbal has a very good reputation too, and might be cheaper. Germany isn't far away, so I could consider him too. But if the price difference isn't that big, I'd rather stay in Switzerland.

Thanks in advance for your answers, they'd bring me some much-needed peace of mind!

What about Dr. Obwegeser in Zurich ?   As I understand the history, that clinic is where most of these surgical procedures were finally developed / perfected.  I assume he will be expensive.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 12:05:19 PM »
A chin wing alone is around 12-15k francs from what I recall.

Going to Germany is probably your best bet. From what I understand surgeons there have fixed prices. Also, the strength of the Franc works to your advantage.

jawsephine

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 04:18:33 PM »
The Franc!

I know the drachma might be back someday but not the franc, I hope!

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 04:31:30 PM »
The Franc!

I know the drachma might be back someday but not the franc, I hope!
Swiss franc.

jawsephine

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »
Ah the Swiss. I don't think of them very often, bless them. Except to wonder what happened to all that Nazi Gold  :o

smic

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 11:06:53 PM »
What about Dr. Obwegeser in Zurich ?   As I understand the history, that clinic is where most of these surgical procedures were finally developed / perfected.  I assume he will be expensive.
Ah yes, I've heard he's a very good surgeon, even performs Lefort 3. But you don't see his name mentioned very often, so I forgot about him.

A chin wing alone is around 12-15k francs from what I recall.

Going to Germany is probably your best bet. From what I understand surgeons there have fixed prices. Also, the strength of the Franc works to your advantage.
12-15k for the chin wing alone? :o Yes I think going to Germany is a better idea! In another thread, I've read that each procedure costs about 5-8k €, can anyone confirm? That would make a total of maybe 25k € which is a reasonable sum for me to save up.

Also what about my other questions? Can anyone address them? Thanks!

smic

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 05:08:33 AM »
Bump

jawsephine

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »
< On the last point, does anyone have Obweseger's contact?

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 01:38:22 AM »

Would also like it. But then I wonder why bother since everyone in recent times who's contacted him regarding a le fort III has been told don't do it, get implants.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

mike888miller

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 07:59:28 AM »
I don't think he still operates, at least that is what I heard, would be interesting to hear what you find out.

If you do a chin wing you don't need the BSSO, as they do the same thing.

triot

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 12:42:37 PM »
I don't think he still operates, at least that is what I heard, would be interesting to hear what you find out.

If you do a chin wing you don't need the BSSO, as they do the same thing.

Uhm, no. The BSSO corrects the bite if it's off. If you do a LeFort than you need a BSSO, too (most of the times)

Bobbit

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 06:48:06 PM »

http://deschamps-braly.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Zurich-CMF-Orthognathic-Fellowship.jpg

This is on Obwegeser's  letterhead and has his last address at the hospital in Zurich and contact information.  Someone else said he may have changed his location after this letter.