Author Topic: Facial Surgery List  (Read 1583 times)

jawsephine

Facial Surgery List
« on: August 08, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »
I want to have orthognathic surgery and my teeth protrude after rapid palate advancement. Does anyone know anything about this and if correcting the slope of the jaw can be included in the advancement surgeries?

Also am I correct from reading these forums that:

BSSO -> Advances/recedes the mandible + reduces/increases labiomental groove
Le Fort 1 -> Advances/recedes the maxilla
Le fort 2 -> Advances/recedes the maxilla and mid face
Le Fort 3 -> Advances/recedes the maxilla/mid-face and cheekbone
Box Osteotomy -> Moves one or both eyes up, down, closer together or further apart
Chin Wing -> Adds vertical length to the jaw
Genioplasty -> Advances the chin only (therefore NOT having an impact on labiomental groove)

SARPE

- Anything else I'm missing? What is a vertical ramus osteotomy?
- Am I correct in thinking that Le Fort 1 has the least impressive results?
- How can you tell if your midface is deficient? Are there any ratios/angles to use?

Is there anything that:

A) Widens the jaw
B) Raises droopy eyes that angled downwards at the corner ('droop') because the maxilla didn't grow wide enough? Would SARPE affect eye-positioning?
C) Can you have SARPE even after you've had rapid palate expansion with an orthotropist?

jawsephine

Re: Facial Surgery List
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 06:19:53 PM »
Oh goodness what's a High Le Fort 1

So many surgeries, such little time!

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 09:30:39 PM »
Wow, that's quite a list you've come up with! One problem with this board is that visitors are bombarded by technicalities in its most gruesome detail. You are literally trying to understand years worth of oral surgery training. Many of us have literally been studying this stuff for years already and we only kind of know what we're talking about. Heck, many surgeons and orthodontists don't really even know. All this is complicated by people stumbling on posts that were on various degrees of the learning curve so you can easily be confused by misinformation from the mistakes of others, whose qualifications and goals you know little about. Many of these people may not related to you at all, you can't see their pictures for the most part. If you really want to learn this stuff, then my best advice is to find copies of a few textbooks and skim through them. Skim the table of contents to get an idea of which sections you need to read. I'd guess that can be done in a few weeks by someone with a high IQ. Then follow up by skimming through various threads, watching Youtube videos, asking questions, PMing individuals, and consulting a few surgeons.

If you don't see yourself in this for the long haul, then I suggest you focus on finding the names of a few key surgeons and focus your time on getting their recommendations. Learn what the right questions are to ask. Start by asking them which questions you need to ask. They'll ask you what your problems are that you want to address, be sure to give this some thought ahead of time. Eliminate the surgeons you don't like and pick of the remaining based on other factors (cost, distance, etc).

When it comes to facial work and jaw surgery in particular, this is one area where the surgeon-patient abstraction doesn't work well. In this case, my best advice is to do as little as possible because it's just too much of a clusterf**k to sort through it all except to the most dedicated individuals. Most patients just roll surgeon choice risk into the risk of the procedure overall.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 10:05:52 PM »
You know you can actually google all those terms and there are plenty of really clear explanations. We're not building a Wikipedia here folks. And @molestrip oh the irony of you complaining about people writing too many details lol.

jawsephine

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 08:34:17 AM »
I'm not sure that's true Lazlo. There is very little information on jaw surgery online compared, say, to the only surgery I've had, which is a rhinoplasty years ago. There's especially little on the dangers involved with each one. I didn't know, for instance, that double vision was a side-effect of any orbital floor surgery. I've only discovered that by asking people.

'We're not building a Wikipedia here folks'. Why not? Why the anti-information stance? What's your agenda for being here then if not sharing information?

jawsephine

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 08:37:32 AM »
"Heck, many surgeons and orthodontists don't really even know."

Oh dear! :o

But thank you for your advice again Molestrip. I shall try to follow it as I don't really believe in going into things blind (even if to stop myself kicking myself for being a fool if something does go wrong).

I do think that having a sticky thread of an overview would have reduced the 12 hours I spend looking for this information the other day, to an hour or two, thus allowing me to move on to other areas of the search.