Author Topic: Male 34yo Candidate for Bimax Advancement?  (Read 4265 times)

darkaesthetic

Male 34yo Candidate for Bimax Advancement?
« on: August 20, 2015, 06:35:39 PM »
Hi everybody, first thank you for creating such a helpful forum, and thank you for any opinions you might be kind enough to provide me.  I've been advised to consider bimax advancement plus a sliding genioplasty to address what I consider to be my retrusive lower face and a deep labiomental fold.  I'm 34 years old, been thinking about this operation for years, and am just trying to decide whether the potential for improving my appearance justifies the cost and risk of numbness or other complications.  Do you think I should move forward, and if so, with what movements?  Thank you very much for any input, and good luck to you all on your own journeys. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tom2

Re: Male 34yo Candidate for Bimax Advancement?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:42:55 PM »
Oh lots of good threads for your to read through on here.

It likely would improve your profile but are all the risks and aftermath worth that?   How is your bite?   If your bite is fine and you do not have sleep apnea (that is bad), I don't know that I would put myself through the surgery....

Good luck however you choose.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 06:50:20 PM »
That's a very subjective question. If your appearance is important to you then I would personally think that the rewards outweigh the risks in your case. Finding a good surgeon can be a bit of a minefield though so that's the thing I would worry the most about.

Bobbit

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 06:58:27 PM »

What  Tom2 said !   

A good plastic surgeon who is also an orthognathic surgeon - -   could help you with the aesthetics and the decision.

I would ask about not only moving your jaw forward a bit (if you can maintain your bite - which is the over riding consideration)  - -  but also reshaping chin area as seen from the front view so it is a bit broader.   

darkaesthetic

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 09:26:22 PM »
Thank you guys for the comments so far.  To clarify, my bite is class 1 with no functional problems.  I don't have apnea.  I am considering this as solely a cosmetic matter.  My brother has a strong, masculine lower face, and I feel that mine underdeveloped for some reason.

darkaesthetic

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 12:48:30 PM »
Thank you for the input, FaceNit.  I have consulted with a surgeon and an ortho who both found both my upper and lower jaws to be retruded.  The ortho did a ceph.  I already ruled out a chin implant.  Regarding my nose, it was never broken, but just has a bit of a hump and veers off to the left.  (That's a whole separate issue!  If anything, I would welcome my nose widening a bit at the base with the LeFort 1.)  I think the fat/skin under my chin is probably a result of the recessed chin.  Thanks again for your comments.  No offense taken -- I'm looking for honesty here so I can really assess my situation.

darkaesthetic

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 05:54:06 PM »
Wow, thank you so much for doing those morphs, 27F.  I really appreciate that.  I was asked to upload the imaging done by my ortho, so here it is.  I wonder if this helps to illustrate or clarify the analysis for any of you?  Thanks again.

darkaesthetic

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 05:59:33 PM »
I just realized how huge that x-ray image is.  Here I've downsized it a bit so it's more manageable.  :-)

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 06:03:21 PM »
Those morphs look really good. You should take them to the surgeon and ask him what he would do to achieve a result like that.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 06:51:11 PM »
Op, 

With the right surgeon, you could improve A LOT.  It's really now just a matter of how much money you are willing to spend. Also have realistic, even better, low expectations.  Don't expect to become a model.

terry947

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 10:14:03 PM »
Wow Legit morphs. Seems like all you need is a simple forwards advancement. So no counter clock wise rotations or stuff like that.

darkaesthetic

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 10:54:04 PM »
27F, in the second morph you did, by ZO did you mean that I should consider a zygomatic osteotomy to have my zygomatic arches made more prominent?  And by "lat cantho/tissue adj" did you mean lateral canthotomy plus some sort of tissue adjustment to have my eyes appear less buggy?  Thanks again.  Any chance you might do a morph from the front view?  These images are really giving me something to think about!   Can't thank you enough.  :-)