Author Topic: Unexpected positive outcomes of orthognathic for sleep apnea.  (Read 6306 times)

TMKA

Re: Unexpected positive outcomes of orthognathic for sleep apnea.
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 11:22:18 AM »
I just got my surgery date! Its going to happen in early March! I had hoped that it would take place earlier in the year. Oh well. Four quick months till my face gets sliced, diced, and rearranged. How is everyone who had sleep apnea jaw surgery doing? Reality is hitting me and I want to hear from my internet orthognathic comrades.

The first 3 days are rough, but then it starts getting easier. My wife has taken great care of me, which has helped a lot. The hardest thing I wasn't ready for is eating thru a syringe. It's harder and messier than I thought it would be. I would recommend practicing . What makes it so tough is that you can't close your lips and you have to tilt your head backwards, making it easy to choke. Luckily, its eggnog season, which is nice and thick and slow.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 05:36:57 PM »
Highly recommend getting a Vitamix which allows you to blend just about anything. I was using it multiple times a day :D

jawsaw

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 06:22:49 PM »
I actually plan on getting a Vitamix! Good call! How is sleeping? Do you feel a lot better during the day?

jawsaw

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 07:35:45 PM »
Also, for anyone who finds it interesting: After having bottom bicuspids pulled, my orthodontics are closing the holes and pulling my bottom front teeth back, giving me an overbite. I just measured the distance between top and bottom incisors. I have a 7mm overbite! And the holes have not fully closed yet. Keep in mind that when I had my braces put on my top and bottom teeth touched tip to tip. Wow my bottom teeth must have been sooo angled. So If the standard maxillary advancement for OSA is 10mm, they will be advancing my mandible close to 2cm?! Wild stuff. I am going to look so different. Scary.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 09:28:10 PM »
No one advances the maxilla 10 mm.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 09:57:17 PM »
No one advances the maxilla 10 mm.

Not true but probably true in this case. You tend to see it more in syndrome cases but grafting is required for stability.

jawsaw

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 10:00:41 PM »
Dr Posnick's treatment plan included a 10mm advancement of my maxilla. Isn't he an orthognathic God? I'm not a syndrome patient not do I resemble one.

Also I read that a pioneer in the field: Dr Kasey Li ONLY does large advancements.

jawsaw

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 10:03:09 PM »
Also, you are correct about grafting. I was told a cadaver bone would be used. I didn't go with Posnick because if I wanted that much debt, I'd go to an Ivy.

jawsaw

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2015, 09:47:36 AM »
Hey jaw surgery friends! I think its safe to say the bicuspid gaps are finally closed. I had the teeth pulled in the end of April. Eight months later the gaps are closed and I have an extremely annoying overbite. Ah, just counting down the days.

To anyone who would find the information useful: The teeth pulling was virtually painless. Same goes for the recovery. The process of pulling the teeth back was minimally uncomfortable. Most of the discomfort came from the wire poking out of the back molar bracket and stabbing my cheek as the spaces became smaller between orthodontist appointments. Initially the change in the shape and size of my mouth was very noticeable and bothersome. I developed a slight lisp. Ironically, as time went on and the space in my mouth became smaller it became easier to deal with. People adapt, we are pretty good at it. Also the lisp minimized as I became accustomed to the new shape.

Now here comes the annoying part. Now that the space in my mouth has decreased substantially, there is little space left for my tongue. I think I mentioned before, but I'll say it again; the only way to have a comfortable mouth posture is with my tongue sticking out over my bottom teeth. My mouth is closed but instead of my bottom teeth touching my bottom lip, its my tongue flapped over my bottom teeth that touches my bottom lip. Google "Lil Bub" if you cant picture what I mean (or just google it anyway because: cute). In waking life this is annoying but tolerable. It is not so tolerable at night while I try to sleep. My tongue is pushed back, making my airway even smaller than it initially was. The quality of my sleep is most definitely suffering.

But alas there is light! 12ish more weeks!