Author Topic: Blindness or problems with vision after orth.surgery  (Read 2673 times)

novakmali

Blindness or problems with vision after orth.surgery
« on: September 16, 2015, 01:29:07 PM »
What are the factors that cause problems with vision during/after surgery? Is it just with lefort 1 or? I had retinal detachment before, but i see excellent..could this be an issue

needadvancement

Re: Blindness or problems with vision after orth.surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 01:33:02 PM »
Extremely rare, far higher odds of the anesthesia giving you problems. Still it has unfortunately happened even with a LF 1, I wonder how those poor souls were compensated for those disasters. Basicely the closer the work is done near the eyes the higher the chances.

novakmali

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 01:35:53 PM »
Is previous retinal detachment a reason for concern? How does anesthesia effect vision? Arent zygomatic procedures closer to the eye in comparison to lefort1

Rico

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »
those issues are mostly reserved for surgeries performed on the zygomatic bones or / and orbitals
Keep in mind procedures on whole zygomatic bone are always connected with orbitals / orbital rim

quite possible temporary double vision, but not common
very low chances dobule vision will be permanent
and very very low chances you get blindness

all of them are possible, like it's possibile you may die during surgery. But as you know it's very unlikely
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 04:06:40 AM by Rico :) »

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 12:05:42 AM »
Extremely rare, far higher odds of the anesthesia giving you problems. Still it has unfortunately happened even with a LF 1, I wonder how those poor souls were compensated for those disasters. Basicely the closer the work is done near the eyes the higher the chances.

Why though? Most osteotomies even in that area COMPLETELY avoid any nerves that could cause vision problems. I've been trying to find out where this comes from for ages and really there aren't any good answers.

Temporary double vision makes sense because of swelling on orbital floor. But why is it riskier just because it's near the eye? Maybe if the surgeon slip and saws your eye to shreds, or goes full retards and just f**ks a major nerve up that isn't even near where the osteotomy is being made?

But seriously, how is there a higher risk of blindness for a modified le fort III vs a le fort I?
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Breakingbad

• Private
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 12:48:56 AM »
I'm guessing the miniscule number of cases involving blindness are as a result of MAJOR f**k ups by the surgeons, and not really a regular risk of surgery.

Rico

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 01:18:13 AM »
BreakingBad: mostly yes, but it's not so obvious

you can get serious inflammation in orbital cavity which may compress optic nerve. Optic nerve is not a peripheral nerve. Nerve fibers die within 48h without oxygen and nutrients.
Such inflammation can be treated, but it's very serious complication and you do not have 100% the nerve will be saved in that scenario

Generally in most surgeries of that kind surgeon even does not reach the optic nerve. it's deep in orbital cavity

in more risk are eye muscles. Any inflammation or any problem with them during or after surgery which may happen cause problem - mostly diploplia

novakmali

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 06:21:24 AM »
Diploplia?

Rico

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 06:24:44 AM »
double vision... but don't panic blindness or permanent double vision are very unlikely
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:43:22 AM by Rico :) »

needadvancement

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 09:03:51 AM »
Hey Rico I didn't realise you are having zygo osteotomy soon so I think you have some serious courage to be in this thread talking about these risks :P

terry947

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 10:44:37 AM »
^agree. Hope everything goes well for you man!

Rico

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 10:59:55 AM »
now the risk is with infection. I have mildly infected sinuses. I can't use antibiotics now.. too late. within 5 days my body somehow have to manage with the bacterial on its own..
so it's possible they will rebook my surgery :/

in Poland now we have strange weather. from 30C to 20C in 2 days and again 30C.  Many poeple are infected :/

my sinuses must be clear...as you know cutting zygoma = cutting one of the sinus

Am i brave  ? perhaps, but between stupidity and courage there is very tiny line :)