Author Topic: infection before surgery  (Read 4351 times)

Rico

infection before surgery
« on: September 15, 2015, 05:42:47 AM »
I had infection - fever for a 3 days...now my body - how to say - clear sinuses. I blow my nose - thick light yellow  snot
Generally infection ended and now my body clear itself from the "remains"

but I have surgery on 24.09   I think my body should manage to be "clear" before surgery but I can't be sure. I 'm gonna have zygomatic bone osteotomy, so one sinus will be cut....

Should I inform my surgeon about that ? I'm afraid my surgery will be rebooked a few months later... a couple of days is not a problem, but I do not want to wait more..or it's not a problem

What to do ? Do you know something about such issue ?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:01:09 PM by Rico :) »

Rico

Re: infection before surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:06:19 AM »
good point of view. I reported that my surgeon. Thx :)

Bobbit

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 05:39:42 PM »
good point of view. I reported that my surgeon. Thx :)

FaceNit has it right.  This not a "maybe" - -  if you show up with any sign of any sinus infection - -  or any other infection for that matter - - they will CANCEL the surgery.   It would be malpractice to proceed.

Not a doctor,  but I doubt seriously that any elective surgery is  done on patients with active infections.

Rico

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 01:50:27 AM »
my infection has ended.  I just reported surgeon I had it a few days before surgery in order to ask if I should take an antibiotic just in case....

I'm going to my general doc today to check it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:10:04 AM by Rico :) »

Breakingbad

• Private
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 02:17:56 AM »
Good to hear you've finally committed to surgery. Do you mind saying which doctor is doing your surgery? Anywho, best of luck!

Rico

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 06:59:26 AM »
BreakingBad: I sent PM

I was examined today by general doctor and my broncho tubes / lungs are clear. Sinuses almost clear. I have only minor symptoms which should dissapear within few days. Antibiotic is not needed - cause it's a virus. Bacterial reinfections happens , but it's not so common, especially if I reduced going outside to minimum.

General doctor also told me (what my surgeons confirms) antibiotics and anaesthetics have interactions!  If the condition is not life threatening most surgeons cancel your surgery if antibiotic remains in the body. Noone wants to risk. There are only some exceptions.

The surgeon (or rather his secretary) told me if I do not need antibiotic, then surgery can be performed

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:58:42 AM by Rico :) »

Rico

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 07:13:21 AM »
eh probably my general doctor was wrong.

From the beginning (after 3 days) I had yellow mucus. At that point I should have been prescribed antibiotic to help with bacterial infection

I learnt yellow mucus always means bacterial infection - at least many sources say that, not all

so my surgery will be rebooked :/

There is no time to get antibiotic therapy
and I have only 5 days to be healthy..
Now it's 8th day since  I got first symptoms of infection, so something tell my body won't fight it without antibiotic

Rico

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 07:24:59 AM »
yes. but at the same time prolonged bacterial infection may leads to other complications

If I did not have surgery in next week I would take antibiotic just in case...to be calm

now I stuck ;)

eh always...something
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:43:03 AM by Rico :) »

Rico

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 08:33:55 AM »
is it possible to fight bacterial infection without antibiotic ?  or small chances

needadvancement

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 09:02:21 AM »
Zygomatic bone osteotomy that is impressive, what type of movements will the surgeon make and what is your hope and preference for your final result?

Rico

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 09:25:45 AM »
forward and outward... resultant vector is about 4mm... the oppositie direction the zygoma went after fracture (overlooked fracture and healed improperly)
+ infraorbital nerve decompression

there is just hope, because chances are low...too much time passed

better tell me if it's possible to get rid off bacterial infection in sinuses without antibiotics - minor symptoms

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:01:56 AM by Rico :) »

needadvancement

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 01:47:10 PM »
Did you make a thread with photos or will you show before and after later? sounds very interesting and I think it will make a big impact on your face.

Maybe you should just reschedule. How long would the wait be, did you ask? If it's like 1 or 2 months I'd just wait it out instead of taking the risk, in my opinion.

Rico

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 03:04:58 PM »
on average 2 max 3 months +/-1 dependly of the period, luck etc
Eventually I'm gonna ask them to swap me with someone, Perhaps someone is unpatient so they could put him in my place and me in his....but probably that is not possible

I will wait till monday, and then i'm gonna report my surgeon what is my condition.. for sure he won't be happy ..on the othe side it's not private clinic... he gets constant salary .. no matter how many patients as I suppos. He works in public hospital with international deparment

but what to do.. i did not plan to be sick

still have a  few days

generally I have very very mild symptoms
headache - tightness feeling  in the scale of 10 where 10 is horrible pain i would give it 1 max 2 ;)
and clogged ears a few times a day
however despite so minor symtpoms that means i;m not 100% healthy

again lack of any mucus....but today 2-3 times when I blew my nose I noticed some traces of light yellow thing

and it's 8th days since infection started
 it won't be big impact of how I'm gonna look , becuause deformation is minimal.  Noone including me noticed that. Just problem with nerve showed me that deformation ;)

about before/ after it's too early to talk about :P
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:19:51 PM by Rico :) »

needadvancement

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 04:04:17 PM »

and it's 8th days since infection started
 it won't be big impact of how I'm gonna look , becuause deformation is minimal.  Noone including me noticed that. Just problem with nerve showed me that deformation ;)

about before/ after it's too early to talk about :P

Ah so you're getting this surgery because of nerve problems? Sorry maybe I misunderstood you.

Rico

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 04:15:44 PM »
generally 60 / 40

60 for nerve 40 for slight deformation
the problem with the nerve is just more annoying and stressful. It's quite big part of face. I have 90-95% of normal feeling. The rest is kinda tightness, kinda pain, itching, etc etc - drive me crazy

the worst thing is that, first problem is just a gamble, it may be worse or better. Too much time passed - slight chronic compression due to overlooked fracture. The bone compressed the nerve

second reversible for sure

I've been told in this way
my condition is barely treatable, but possible. Many surgeons have seen everything.

if i feel it's not big deal - drop the surgery
if sometimes it's ok sometimes it's not - do not undergo surgery
if really it's annoying and interferee with the life, then do it...but keep in mind it may be better or worse. Gamble. Your choice

Really tough thing. I want to get over with it as soon as possible.
If I wake up with no diploplia and at least 50% of feeling, then I will have at least minimal chances :)  fortunately the canal is short about 2 cm and easy access..but it does not make guarantee severe damage won't occour
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:50:01 PM by Rico :) »