Author Topic: What do we know about Dr John Schmitz?  (Read 1139 times)

molestrip

• Private
What do we know about Dr John Schmitz?
« on: October 07, 2015, 10:01:26 AM »
This surgeon seems particularly interesting. How many surgeons have a Phd in biochemistry, teach orthopaedics, have craniofacial experience, and teaching experience? Rumor was the reputation wasn't good. I don't know if anyone can elaborate on that. Is that just for cranio work or does it apply to jaw surgery too?

Bobbit

Re: What do we know about Dr John Schmitz?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 05:16:44 PM »
This surgeon seems particularly interesting. How many surgeons have a Phd in biochemistry, teach orthopaedics, have craniofacial experience, and teaching experience? Rumor was the reputation wasn't good. I don't know if anyone can elaborate on that. Is that just for cranio work or does it apply to jaw surgery too?

Looked him up.   He is a dentist.  While there is a claim about doing craniofacial surgery - - his publication list doesn't really reflect anything other than jaw surgeries and dental implant work.  He does appear to do a fair amount of jaw surgeries, coupled with dental implants and wisdom teeth extractions.

The prominent feature on his web page of the "American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery" is almost a red flag, all by itself.   

That is a pure marketing organization.  You can literally do a 1 year  general surgery internship and then leave that program and then stand around watching a "cosmetic surgeon" for  one year in an office setting - - - and never go to a hospital operating room - - then magically become a proud member of that "Academy".    Always worth while  to do a quick check at  www.certificationmatters.org.   Essentially,  almost all of the other "boards"  and "academies" are self-help organizations designed to provide cover for the physician who cannot otherwise qualify (lots of years of training) to be eligible to be in one of the ABMS sanctioned specialty boards.   And yes,  there are some exceptions to the rule  - -  but not very many.

Met a lady the other day with some messed up eyes.  Simple drill and fill  dentist had decided to become a "cosmetic surgeon"  and begin doing eye lid surgery and brow lifts.  It almost feels like a stampede of dentists trying to become facial cosmetic surgeons.

molestrip

• Private
Re: What do we know about Dr John Schmitz?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:21:05 AM »
Interesting. I looked at a local surgeon with the same certification. He did rhinoplasties at the same time, which I've heard is a big no no. He didn't do CCW rotations. All the orthodontists in town love him. I didn't understand, I looked at some of his examples and the rhinoplasties looked terrible.