Author Topic: Is there a way to achieve this result?  (Read 8263 times)

ForeverDet

Re: Is there a way to achieve this result?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 01:24:06 AM »
^Hey! sorry I didn't respond in a PM after your send the photo from the front.

Regarding mentalis strain... it depends. Sometimes you do see the strain being eliminated or reduced after a sliding genioplasty. However if the lip competence (gap between your lips at rest with teeth together) is really excessive, a genio will probably not be sufficient.

Mentalis strain from lip incompetence is multifactorial. It's often both an issue of your upper jaw growing too long causing excess upper incisor display/"short" upper lip and the posture/length of the lower lip (which is influenced by mandibular deficiency and occlusion plane). In addition, the lower lip tends to be very self-supporting which is why you sometimes see people with really recessed chin or steep occlusal plans have lower lips that are still well formed.

A sliding genioplasty will not elongate your face if it's a horizontal movement, in fact it will likely shorten it slightly (absolute terms as the chin point will usually be higher than before) while making your chin more prominent. And the surgeon could do some slight upward tipping of the sliced bone to make your chin/lip to move more up and closer to your top lip.

Genuinely vertically long chins (not just appearing long due to downward recession like yours probably) are usually seen in Class III cases aka underbite although it can exist in class I/II's. Which a vertical reduction genioplasty can be done if needed where the removed a slice of chin bone with or without changing the chin horizontally.

deyapretty

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2015, 04:01:45 AM »
^Hey! sorry I didn't respond in a PM after your send the photo from the front.

Regarding mentalis strain... it depends. Sometimes you do see the strain being eliminated or reduced after a sliding genioplasty. However if the lip competence (gap between your lips at rest with teeth together) is really excessive, a genio will probably not be sufficient.

Mentalis strain from lip incompetence is multifactorial. It's often both an issue of your upper jaw growing too long causing excess upper incisor display/"short" upper lip and the posture/length of the lower lip (which is influenced by mandibular deficiency and occlusion plane). In addition, the lower lip tends to be very self-supporting which is why you sometimes see people with really recessed chin or steep occlusal plans have lower lips that are still well formed.

A sliding genioplasty will not elongate your face if it's a horizontal movement, in fact it will likely shorten it slightly (absolute terms as the chin point will usually be higher than before) while making your chin more prominent. And the surgeon could do some slight upward tipping of the sliced bone to make your chin/lip to move more up and closer to your top lip.

Genuinely vertically long chins (not just appearing long due to downward recession like yours probably) are usually seen in Class III cases aka underbite although it can exist in class I/II's. Which a vertical reduction genioplasty can be done if needed where the removed a slice of chin bone with or without changing the chin horizontally.

Sorry I hadn't seen your post...

Are you talking about my case (from the pictures) or in general?
The whole surgery is starting to scare me and I'm considering orthodontics but I don't think I will see a much difference. The orthodontist tried to show me pictures of patients who had more or less the same teeth and mouth "features" and the before and after wasn't that noticeable (especially from the front).

ForeverDet

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 02:49:56 AM »
Sorry I hadn't seen your post...

Are you talking about my case (from the pictures) or in general?
The whole surgery is starting to scare me and I'm considering orthodontics but I don't think I will see a much difference. The orthodontist tried to show me pictures of patients who had more or less the same teeth and mouth "features" and the before and after wasn't that noticeable (especially from the front).

I was talking about both your case and in general in regards to jaw issues of your kind.

It is highly unlikely orthodontics will address your issues. Only jaw surgery can fully address where the abnormal growth occurred in yours jaws and correct it.

And a horizontal advancement genioplasty will camouflage it by improve your profile and probably reducing the "longness" you see and possibly reduce the gap between your lips at rest.

I think I said this before, you don't have a long upper lip. When you close your lips it elongates because you have some lip incompetence so you're forcing it. You already have quite a youthful look and your lips being thick enhance that.

If you had just a lip shortening procedure, yes it would reduce that distance that you dislike but you also will worsen your lip incompetence because your upper lip would be even farther from your lower lip. So when you'd force your lips closed, your chin would strain even harder. You don't want that right?