Author Topic: Pain laughing and smiling after surgery  (Read 1138 times)

Bdawson2991

Pain laughing and smiling after surgery
« on: October 14, 2015, 01:58:34 AM »
Please tell me I'm not alone. I'm 5 days post-op from a maxillary advancement osteotomy and yesterday & today I began with extreme pain in my sutures (stitches) when smiling or laughing. I've been brushing my teeth and using chorhexidine mouthwash 5-6x daily so it's unlikely they're inflamed or infected. Do you think it could be caused by the tightness of the sutures & if anybody else has experienced this, when did it ease off for you?

TIA x

PloskoPlus

Re: Pain laughing and smiling after surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 02:06:45 AM »
Please tell me I'm not alone. I'm 5 days post-op from a maxillary advancement osteotomy and yesterday & today I began with extreme pain in my sutures (stitches) when smiling or laughing. I've been brushing my teeth and using chorhexidine mouthwash 5-6x daily so it's unlikely they're inflamed or infected. Do you think it could be caused by the tightness of the sutures & if anybody else has experienced this, when did it ease off for you?

TIA x
The only thing I remember hurting was the alar cinch under the nose.

JawKid7

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 03:21:47 AM »
I'm day 9 post op and smiling is not as painful so just give it another 3 more days
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

chinnychinchin

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 07:33:46 PM »
I was in considerable and serious pain for a whole entire month and was on Oxycodone and Tramadol for that entire period just to put things into perspective :) It could always be worse. You're still very early in the healing process so expect bouts of unexplainable pain episodes and just being plain miserable. If something is wrong, your surgeon will know right away from the followup appointments. And you'll know if it's an infection if you have fever symptoms. Hang in there, it'll be over before you know it!