Author Topic: Cold weather and plates/screws  (Read 920 times)

dovidiostore

• Private
Cold weather and plates/screws
« on: October 25, 2015, 02:34:13 PM »
Hey all. I am about 3 years post op from upper jaw surgery for an open bite. Overall things have been pretty great. My bite hasn't shifted and has remained the same. However I want to inquire about how cold weather has affected me and how it may have affected you guys post-op. Usually when the season changes where I live on the east coast from warm to cold, I'll begin to notice a 'dull ache', or just a 'feeling' throughout the day where the surgical area is, which i take notice to (because i notice everything) and it goes away. Usually short lived, meaning a few days of a 'sensation' to 'dull ache'. I can also slap the back of my head and feel a shocky-sensation there, which I don't feel in the heat. It goes away with time. I would think its be the hardware contracting and/or the surrounding muscle due to the cold. I am definitely a 'minimalist' in that i wouldn't want to have another operation to remove any hardware and would hope to hear input from those who feel similar things. More of a 'i'd rather accept i have metal in my face and the feelings they can bring' as long as the hardware is not a danger to keep in, other than these type of seasonal aches. Definitely a better trade off than worsening my TMJ and ear symptoms that existed before the surgery, though. Looking forward to your input. =)

Warm regards

terry947

Re: Cold weather and plates/screws
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 05:17:18 PM »
The aches could be from the metal brackets. I read somewhere here that if you don't remove the hardware 1 year after surgery, tissue and bone can grow over it. Also heard it's a little difficult to remove.