Author Topic: jaw pain near ear when swallowing  (Read 2396 times)

JawKid7

jaw pain near ear when swallowing
« on: October 19, 2015, 03:47:04 PM »
I'm 2 weeks post op and I've noticed when I swallow I have this pain on the left side of my jaw underneath near the ear, has anyone else experienced this?
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

Lazlo

• Private
Re: jaw pain near ear when swallowing
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 04:50:32 PM »
I'm 2 weeks post op and I've noticed when I swallow I have this pain on the left side of my jaw underneath near the ear, has anyone else experienced this?

Aren't we to assume there's gonna be pains and discomfort well into year after surgery? I mean I justs assumed all of that would be normal?

JawKid7

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 05:11:53 PM »

Aren't we to assume there's gonna be pains and discomfort well into year after surgery? I mean I justs assumed all of that would be normal?

discomfort yes but not jaw pain.. I'm sure theres a lot of people who have surgery expecting existing jaw pain to stop
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »
discomfort yes but not jaw pain.. I'm sure theres a lot of people who have surgery expecting existing jaw pain to stop

yes that's true enough. i mean my life is a kind of hell right now.

Nataliepryor

• Private
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 04:52:02 AM »
Lazlo is right.

I get pain. Using my jaws first thing in morning, it hurts a lot as I start to eat breakfast. Calms down as day goes on.

If I haven't moved them much,  I get a sharp pain in my joint and I've been told that is normal.

MRRoper

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 04:15:13 PM »
I'm a little over 5 weeks out and I also have popping in my ears, pain (but mostly soreness, aches) near my ears after eating. My understanding is that the muscles are adjusting to the surgical jaw movement. I have also read that others have had muscle spasms which may account for shooting pain in that area. I don't think it should be constant, though, and the pain should be controllable with Tylenol or Ibuprophen (if the pain is more of an ache). If not, you may want to contact your surgeon's office.

baldguy83

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 01:39:32 PM »
I'm now 4 months post-op and I've started experiencing similar symptons: weird stabby pains when chewing or swallowing, occassionally. They seem to radiate from my left TMJ, which has also started making 'clicking' sounds since a week or two. No problems with the right TMJ. I'm really f**king worried it could be the start of TMD.