Author Topic: Malar Osteotomy before Modified Le Fort III?  (Read 1865 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Malar Osteotomy before Modified Le Fort III?
« on: November 20, 2015, 02:55:18 PM »
I know none of us here are surgeons but I wanted to ask a very basic question:

Would someone who previously had a malar osteotomy be able to get a modified le fort III? What would some problems be in such a case?
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Schrödingers Jaw

Re: Malar Osteotomy before Modified Le Fort III?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 08:41:10 AM »
I don't know the exact issues (should there be any) but I can imagine it would make things more complicated.

terry947

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 10:22:12 PM »
My guess is you'd probably have to wait for the malar osteotomy to heal and fuse. They'll most likely keep the plate in place if they were to do the LF3 just in case. I dont think itd be an issue after everything has healed.

swansatcoole

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 06:04:07 PM »
Theoretically: it is possible when the bone has fused again 6-8 months to a year after the zygomatic osteotomy.

In practice: you will very likely ruin your chances to get Lefort III done. It would be very difficult to find any surgeon that would be willing to do that. Since the zygomatic osteotomy is going to give some forward/sidewards increase in projection. Perhaps in places where you don't necessarily need most increase in projection. (And places where you perhaps want an increase in projection too won't get it). But it is going to give an increase in projection in some places. (In my face I have the fuller low round cheeks someone described too. Not the high arched zygoma's I had really wished for.  If I could undo it, I would do so).

So to then get a Lefort III is setting yourself up for problems that no surgeon will want to get involved in. Since you will get over-the-top enlarged cheeks in those places that have already an increasement in projection after your initial zygomatic osteotomy, if they are projected more with another surgery (the Lefort III). No surgeon will want to do that with the prospect of possibly creating a fake looking result. Even if you still have very recessed places in your face/along the orbit, next to the projected places. Pick the right procedure immediately. Or go for the Lefort III first since it will give an increasement in projection in all those areas. And if you then still feel you need a little bit of an increasement in projection of the lower cheeks, then you can see what you can still do (and whether any surgeon feels a zygomatic osteotomy is still possible without giving overprojection in some places of the cheek or you can look into Coral paste).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 11:52:54 AM by swansatcoole »