Author Topic: genioplasty or jaw surgery, with simulation.  (Read 8601 times)

SJay

Re: genioplasty or jaw surgery, with simulation.
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 03:59:26 PM »
I wasn't very clear.

Regarding the removal of teeth:
When the teeth are removed you're left with a gap, say 7mm or so (the width of the tooth). Then you get the braces, and the teeth move within the gum to close that gap. So what happens to the actual size of the gum, does it shrink as it now has to hold less teeth, or are the spaces which were left effectively just moved to the back of the gums so they are not visible. If it is the latter, then I still have space in my gums to play around with, so I could in theory move all my lower teeth backwards to create an overjet?

Regarding the surgery:
My bit is now correct, class I. I'm asking if it is possible to just have BSSO (no upper jaw work), by somehow moving my lower teeth backwards in the gum to create an overjet, then I could bring the jaw forward and still have a correct bite. Clearly, if I move my lower jaw forward without moving the teeth back, I would get an underbite. The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if I can get away with just lower jaw surgery, not double. Perhaps this is a stupid idea, but I'm just trying to understand how it works and what my options are. I hope my question makes sense

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2015, 05:15:00 PM »
Regarding question 1) your ortho will tell you he's just moving teeth around. BULLs**t. I know cause Ive suffered through this. The space where the gap is shrinks and the gums actually remodel. I know this cause all the latest tests and surgeons have said this. YOu effectively lose 7 mm of jaw bone.

2) Absolutely that can be done by removing teeth from the bottom jaw. I wouldn't advise it though cause you'll then have a much smaller lower arch and it might be very tight for your tongue. ALso you'll just be compensating for what you'v lost through surgery.

Here's what you do. GO to Gunson and have him oversee your ortho work you f**king moron. Have the surgeon (a very good one) oversee what the ortho does. Has this not been emphasized enough on this forum?

GJ we need a f**king FAQ here and that should be one of the f**king first protocols: HAVE YOUR SURGEON PLAN THE ORTHO WORK WITH YOUR ORTHO AND PREFERABLY ONE THE SURGEON WORKS WITH REGULARLY. f**k'N"HELL.

Bobbit

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2015, 07:37:05 PM »

GJ we need a  FAQ here and that should be one of the first protocols: HAVE YOUR SURGEON PLAN THE ORTHO WORK WITH YOUR ORTHO AND PREFERABLY ONE THE SURGEON WORKS WITH REGULARLY.

And...   if your  local ORTHO is not willing to work with an out of town  jaw surgeon - -  find a different Ortho that will.   Then find a good jaw surgeon that knows how to coordinate the planning and ortho work so the surgeon can do his or her job right.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »
And...   if your  local ORTHO is not willing to work with an out of town  jaw surgeon - -  find a different Ortho that will.   Then find a good jaw surgeon that knows how to coordinate the planning and ortho work so the surgeon can do his or her job right.
\

EXACTLY. JUST POST THIS SOMEWHERE SO WE DON"T HAVE TO ANSWER THE SAME QUESTiONS OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

mike888miller

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2015, 01:30:47 PM »
have seen 3 studies that indicate that you may not get 1 to 1 advancement of bone vs soft tissue, and my swiss doctor said there some margin they can not plan for. you are stretching skin, with has many layers skin, mussle, fat, etc. contact me on pm if studies of interest.

genio will do nother to widen your jaw, you would need extraction or implants.