Author Topic: Our Face Bones Change Shape as We Age  (Read 771 times)

molestrip

• Private
Our Face Bones Change Shape as We Age
« on: November 16, 2015, 10:13:45 PM »
Found a nice article on LiveScience about facial changes with age. I'm posting it here because it shows a 3d rendering of a patient 20-40 years old and one 65 years old. Now, those of you considering facial augmentation or other procedures should look at how significant the changes are and consider how any work you get will possibly change with these skeletal changes. Can an augmentation adjust its shape and adherence as the skull changes from the one on the left to the right? That's, assuming, it doesn't have other problems on its own anyway. Will it migrate, rotate, protrude, fragment, invade the enlarged orbital cavity, or otherwise alter natural changes to the facial skeleton? And consider that surgery at advanced age is not only riskier but an object embedded in the face for that long may not be removable at that point. I don't mean to inspire fear, just thoughts for consideration. We are talking about basically bone that's slightly changed with some soft tissue on top that's loosely connected to it. I don't know that there will be problems and that's not the point I'm making but it's worth asking a surgeon these questions before proceeding and considering it for yourself. My best impression at this moment is that some people will have problems, some will not but mostly, there's no way to tell since the field is still relatively young and evolving.

needadvancement

Re: Our Face Bones Change Shape as We Age
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 08:42:31 AM »
But those two x-rays are not from the same person though.

molestrip

• Private
Re: Our Face Bones Change Shape as We Age
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 08:44:15 AM »
That is true, as noted in the comments. I believe they intended to show the type of change that occurs and they're not wrong. There's an illustration in Contemporary Orthodontis by Profitt showing the same thing.