Author Topic: Where do I start?  (Read 1453 times)

MikeBean

Where do I start?
« on: September 09, 2015, 03:14:35 AM »
Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm very unhappy with my jaw shape, been told in the past by an ortho that I have an underdeveloped jaw and have issues with cracking/grinding/tired jaw. I want to start the process of getting something done about it but I don't know where to start.

I'd first like to find out what's going on with my jaw, i.e. what's my bite like? Is my mandible/maxilla really underdeveloped? If so how so? etc Would I see a regular dentist to determine these things, or an ortho or a maxillofacial surgeon?

Thanks

Edit - Also if I post pics here should I have my jaw relaxed or clenched?

PloskoPlus

Re: Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 03:36:00 AM »

I'm very unhappy with my jaw shape, been told in the past by an ortho that I have an underdeveloped jaw and have issues with cracking/grinding/tired jaw. I want to start the process of getting something done about it but I don't know where to start.

I'd first like to find out what's going on with my jaw, i.e. what's my bite like? Is my mandible/maxilla really underdeveloped? If so how so? etc Would I see a regular dentist to determine these things, or an ortho or a maxillofacial surgeon?

Thanks

See a max fac who does a lot of orthognathic surgeries. There aren't many of those.  Most just pull wisdom teeth and do dental implants.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 06:42:52 PM »

Thanks

Your jaw should always be in a relaxed position. For those of us with recessed jaws, we're used to protruding the sensation of protruding our jaws forward but it is actually quite bad for your joints.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:21:10 PM »
Where do you live? In countries with universal healthcare you might need a referral to get to see a maxfac surgeon while in others you can just book a consultation right away.

MikeBean

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 03:59:46 AM »
Thanks for the answers, I need to see a dentist for a check up soon anyway so I plan to ask what (s)he thinks of my jaw in general (malocclusions, TMJ, etc) and then see a maxfac in a few months (probably Paul Johnson) after some more research. In the meantime I might post some pics to get your opinions.

mouth

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 01:10:58 PM »
Maybe go back to your ortho since he/she picked up problem. Could suggest someone who ortho has seen results of their work. It is important to have a good surgeon.  They usually have a relationship since it requires each does their part. By the way are u using a night guard for grinding?