Author Topic: Does anyone have long-term scans of bone grafts on the jaw / chin?  (Read 1924 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
When I had my chin wing obviously there were bone grafts used between the gaps and it went on to heal perfectly as 100% bone. However, what happens when bone is used to augment the chin area and there isn't this sandwiching going on? Will it still be replaced one-for-one with natural bone? Does it simply set and remain as grafted bone?

Is there anyone who has long-term (1y post-op +) that look at this? One study I found seemed to indicate that it was stable one-year post-op, however goes on to indicate that it wasn't actually replaced by natural bone.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Does anyone have long-term scans of bone grafts on the jaw / chin?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 10:41:02 AM »
When I had my chin wing obviously there were bone grafts used between the gaps and it went on to heal perfectly as 100% bone. However, what happens when bone is used to augment the chin area and there isn't this sandwiching going on? Will it still be replaced one-for-one with natural bone? Does it simply set and remain as grafted bone?

Is there anyone who has long-term (1y post-op +) that look at this? One study I found seemed to indicate that it was stable one-year post-op, however goes on to indicate that it wasn't actually replaced by natural bone.

If it isn't between bone or some place with movement I've heard it will mostly all reabsorb into the body. That's why you can't use your own bone to overlay augmentation.

MrFox

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 11:53:41 AM »
It's been one year and eighteen days since I had lyophilized cartilage implants... No resorption

Bobbit

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 12:25:08 PM »
It's been one year and eighteen days since I had lyophilized cartilage implants... No resorption

Where were the lyophilized cartilage implants - -  placed ? 

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 07:11:35 PM »
If it isn't between bone or some place with movement I've heard it will mostly all reabsorb into the body. That's why you can't use your own bone to overlay augmentation.

Dr Sinn, Dr Triaca, Dr Zarrinbal, and pretty much every surgeon has told me bone grafting in the chin area is stable - dunno why. Haven't found a study that disagrees with this either. That's why I'm looking for long-term scans to back it up.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

triot

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 01:17:50 PM »
Dr Sinn, Dr Triaca, Dr Zarrinbal, and pretty much every surgeon has told me bone grafting in the chin area is stable - dunno why. Haven't found a study that disagrees with this either. That's why I'm looking for long-term scans to back it up.

I talked to Dr. Z about this. He said that some of it will be absorbed, that's why he does a bit of overcorrection.