Author Topic: Are there any good outcomes? from jaw advancement over 40 especially  (Read 1392 times)

CandyApple

I keep hearing about the bad outcomes.  It seems like you never hear from those that this surgery helped.  Anyone out there have a good experience and not nerve damage/pain?

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
Re: Are there any good outcomes? from jaw advancement over 40 especially
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:46:59 AM »
Yes there are a success stories for people who are even older than 40 and had double jaw surgery.  You can find a bunch on Youtube too.  Im 40 and need double jaw surgery for sleep apnea but I'm soooooo scareddddd!
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 08:50:31 PM »
Oh yes, very many people! Studies are mixed but contrary to popular believe, there isn't really much of a difference in healing as you age. I would say up to 60 still has acceptable risk. The largest study I could find was from China and they found that nerves took longer to regenerate with age but did not affect final outcomes. There are some minor differences in risk factors. Dental pulp shrinks with age so there's less margin for ischemia, which is typically only an issue for multi-segment LeForts. Still, I know people up until their 50s who had them done. There is some evidence that bones don't ossify as well too, grafting may help here but there's no longer term studies yet.

TMKA

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 07:57:11 AM »
Yes there are a success stories for people who are even older than 40 and had double jaw surgery.  You can find a bunch on Youtube too.  Im 40 and need double jaw surgery for sleep apnea but I'm soooooo scareddddd!

Don't be scaredddd!! I thought about having this for over 17 years before I finally did it. I only wish I would have done it sooner. I think the main thing is to make sure you have an experienced orthodontist and an experienced surgeon. I had to drive over 35 miles to find the right orthodontist and my surgeon does about 30 orthognathic surgeries a year.

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 09:49:54 AM »
Don't be scaredddd!! I thought about having this for over 17 years before I finally did it. I only wish I would have done it sooner. I think the main thing is to make sure you have an experienced orthodontist and an experienced surgeon. I had to drive over 35 miles to find the right orthodontist and my surgeon does about 30 orthognathic surgeries a year.

Where is your surgeon located?
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 09:33:02 AM »
30 surgeries a year is not many. In my tier 2 city, the highest volume I could find was about 50 per year. That means he does <5 3-pieces a year or put another way, the last time he'll have done a case like mine was 2+ months ago or exactly like mine, maybe once a year. Not reassuring.

GJ

• Administrator
Millimeters are miles on the face.

TMKA

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 08:59:55 AM »
Where is your surgeon located?

Louisville, KY