Author Topic: Bruising  (Read 1980 times)

Ginger

Bruising
« on: December 18, 2015, 01:12:10 PM »
Day 5 pic after my lower jaw surgery below. Am I like a bruising champion or something? Lol. Seriously, nothing prepared me for this much of it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:36:41 AM by Ginger »

Purist

Re: Bruising
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 01:38:40 PM »
What did you have? A head transplant?!

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 02:38:49 PM »

lol

Bobbit

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 02:44:02 PM »
Day 5 pic after my surgery below. Am I like a bruising champion or something? Lol. Seriously, nothing prepared me for this much of it.

That is impressive.  I have not seen any other early post op pictures that looked anything like that.

Were you fully off of aspirin or other anti-coagulants before your surgery?   That is a lot of blood to come up under the skin.  Some serious trauma to those tissues.

Ginger

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 03:20:25 PM »

Lol. It does look a bit Frankenstein-ish : )

Thank you for posting that.  I had that much bruising after a round of cosmetic surgery and it freaked me out because I was not expecting it.  It is helpful to know what to really expect.  Happy healing!

Ugh, sorry you went through that much bruising too. Thanks for the well wishes!

That is impressive.  I have not seen any other early post op pictures that looked anything like that.

Were you fully off of aspirin or other anti-coagulants before your surgery?   That is a lot of blood to come up under the skin.  Some serious trauma to those tissues.

Yeah, I've never seen any post-op pics quite this bad. Kinda crazy. Not on any aspirin or anything before surgery so not sure what happened, except that I have a tendency to bruise easily. My surgeon said I'm definitely more bruised and swollen than average. I'm on day 9 now and the bruising and swelling are looking better, but it's going to be awhile before things look normal.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:25:05 PM by Ginger »

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 10:05:14 AM »
Day 5 pic after my surgery below. Am I like a bruising champion or something? Lol. Seriously, nothing prepared me for this much of it.

Hi where are you from and who was your surgeon if you don't mind sharing?   Hows the numbness?  Was it hard to breath and adjust to your new bite when you woke up?  Thats kinda my biggest fear of the surgery.  Waking up with a numb jaw not being able to breath or swallow correctly and flipping out. 
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

Ginger

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 02:45:08 PM »
Hi where are you from and who was your surgeon if you don't mind sharing?   Hows the numbness?  Was it hard to breath and adjust to your new bite when you woke up?  Thats kinda my biggest fear of the surgery.  Waking up with a numb jaw not being able to breath or swallow correctly and flipping out.

Hi Jimmy, good questions. As far as numbness, I have feeling everywhere but on one side of my lower lip and part of my chin. The chin nerves are coming back now. It's a strange sensation but i guess that's a good thing : )

My bite felt good and my breathing was fine right from the beginning. I had some swallowing issues a few days after surgery, but it's because I'm a champion sweller. Lol. The surgeon prescribed some prednisone and it helped right away. Most people don't swell like I did so I wouldn't worry about swallowing issues.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:42:43 AM by Ginger »

kjohnt

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 12:31:41 AM »
I'd like to see your 2 week post-op photos if you'd be so kind!  This would be the amount of time off work for which I'd plan and your photos will give me an idea of what it's like at that point.

Also, do you take fish oils or anything?  I know those have blood-thinning properties which could add to bruising...

Ginger

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 01:17:06 PM »
I'd like to see your 2 week post-op photos if you'd be so kind!  This would be the amount of time off work for which I'd plan and your photos will give me an idea of what it's like at that point.

Also, do you take fish oils or anything?  I know those have blood-thinning properties which could add to bruising...

Oh, I do take fish oils daily! I didn't even think of that. Thanks for mentioning it.

The surgeon recently told me I have a hematoma on one side of my jaw from surgery, which is obviously contributing to the bruising and swelling.

I think I'll wait to do pics until next week. I'm more swollen than most people at this stage and I don't want to scare anyone. lol. On the plus side I went back to work this week and no one has asked what the heck happened to me.