Author Topic: Would a genioplasty fix my chin? PIC  (Read 2731 times)

haptala4

Would a genioplasty fix my chin? PIC
« on: December 28, 2015, 02:54:35 PM »
I have for many years considered fixing my biggest flaw. I am quite happy with the rest of my face, but the chin bothers me. Too long and also receded. My teeth sits alright.
Can a standard genioplasty both shorten vertically and lenghten horizontally? Because it seems like they would both lenghten hort and vert.
Would a genioplasty be enough, in regards to mm?
Or does this require a fixup with braces etc, CW, BSSO?
Thank you
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:01:43 AM by haptala4 »

PloskoPlus

Re: Would a genioplasty fix my chin? PIC
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 04:16:23 PM »
Steep occlusal plane.

haptala4

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:01:24 AM »
Yes there is.

I did a morph of what I would like it to look. Is this realistic? Would a genioplasty be able to archieve this result? Lowering and forward projection.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 01:49:36 PM »
Yes there is.

I did a morph of what I would like it to look. Is this realistic? Would a genioplasty be able to archieve this result? Lowering and forward projection.

Maybe.  But you may need CCW to fix things properly.

terry947

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 12:14:04 AM »
It'd be bette rig you posted a ceph that way we can see what's really going on. I agree with plosko. You most likely have a steep occlusion and getting a genio might camouflage it. Also CCW greatly improves the side profile look. Makes it look more normal and natural.

Purist

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 06:53:45 AM »
Can somebody explain what a steep occulusion plane is? Is that the degree of retrusion of the chin or the mandibular angle?

kjohnt

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 10:45:42 AM »
Can somebody explain what a steep occulusion plane is? Is that the degree of retrusion of the chin or the mandibular angle?

Look at the attached picture.

Line FH is the Frankfurt horizontal plane.  It should sit parallel to the floor.  Line FOP is the occlusal plane.  The occlusal plane is measured in comparison to the Frankfurt plane.  I've read average difference is 1.5 to 14 degrees (so almost parallel to 14 degrees open).  I can't remember what the ideal is but I found an answer on here previously.

Another way to look at it is by looking at the red line that is perpendicular to FH and the floor.  To the right of that line, the degree between it and FOP is on average 91.5 to 104 degrees.  The higher the degree, the steeper the occlusal plane.

A steep occlusal plane makes it look like a person has a weak chin when that may not really be the case - the entire lower jaw is angled downward.  If counter-clockwise rotation is performed, the occlusal plane is then less steep. 

CCW rotation is performed by any combination of impacting the front of the maxilla and downgrafting the back of the maxilla.  This brings the plane of the top teeth less steep, and the botton jaw will then swing further for the bottom teeth to reach the top teeth.

When talking CW/CCW rotation, you always need to be looking at the right side of a subject's face.

OP - I think the SG would help but I agree there may be more to it that just the chin.  You should consult with a surgeon.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:56:10 AM by kjohnt »

Purist

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 11:39:07 AM »
What an excellent explanation. Thanks.