Author Topic: should I get a septoplasty?  (Read 1501 times)

JawKid7

should I get a septoplasty?
« on: December 27, 2015, 11:21:36 AM »
I'm nearly 3 months post lefort 1. My nose breathing hasn't changed at all so I'm still mouth breathing, will this increase the chance of a relapse? also how much of a difference does it make being able to breathe through both nostrils?
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
Re: should I get a septoplasty?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 01:04:18 PM »
I'm nearly 3 months post lefort 1. My nose breathing hasn't changed at all so I'm still mouth breathing, will this increase the chance of a relapse? also how much of a difference does it make being able to breathe through both nostrils?
Did you have SARPE done as well?  Everyone I spoke to that had SARPE all said there was a significant increase in nasal breathing
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

JawKid7

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 04:33:53 PM »
No SARPE. Just lefort advancement with an impaction, nearly everyone says they experience improved nasal breathing but mine hasn't changed at all :/

JawKid7

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 02:18:43 PM »
How would that work exactly though? I suppose from an airway perspective MMA would increase breathing comfort... but I've never heard many people say improved breathing was a side-effect of jaw surgery. My surgeon did mention if I ever got jaw surgery he could correct the 'lower third' of the septum during the lefort 1 part of the op, perhaps those people had the same thing?

How long have you been mouth breathing? How deviated is your septum? Perhaps post a pic of the underside of your nose (eyes blanked out) so we can see the damage?

I'm only 10 days post my septorhino but since I've had my packing removed the changes to my sense of smell and breathing have been rather dramatic. I suppose I was unaware of how the septum deviation had been affecting my breathing for the last 5 years + without realising it..

I think I've always been a mouth breather. My septum doesn't even look deviated but I can only breathe through one nostril, and I've noticed whichever nostril I can breathe through it changes throughout the day.