Author Topic: CCW surgeon jaw  (Read 7129 times)

kjohnt

Re: CCW surgeon jaw
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 05:27:57 PM »
Duh that's why I said simple cases for Dr. B, implying those that don't require CCW. Not like mine or many others. He wanted to do straight advancement after examining me for 4-5 minutes using a ruler so I mentally crossed his name off the list during the consult. It was a red flag for sure that anyone who doesn't need just moderate advancement should bypass him. IIRC I mentioned CCW and the Arnett facial trait norm values without mentioning his name and he said it had "fallacies" or some s**t, using that approach. Okay buddy, having objective guide (it's not god's word) and utilizing essential rotational techniques has fallacies.

He didn't do any ceph xrays or anything?

ForeverDet

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 05:38:36 PM »
He didn't do any ceph xrays or anything?

Actually he did but he never looked at it and brought it up. I think it was a 3rd scan or something. When I asked the technician if I should keep my lips relaxed and not force them close, she almost laughed at me and said no. She had no understanding about relax soft tissue posture being essential for treatment planning and during x-rays. Especially annoying since my main concern was my huge lip incompetence.

Sinsajo

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 07:37:40 PM »

kjohnt

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 07:58:13 PM »
Is this the CCW ?? you put the plates on the ear should not renew?

http://www.drlarrywolford.com/tmj-temporomandibular-joint-disorders/total-temporomandibular-joint-tmj-replacement-2/

CCW is a different subject than TMJ replacement.  CCW is rotation of the jaws to make the occlusal plane less steep in respect to its relationship with the Frankfurt plane, and is achieved as part of bimax advancement by tipping the maxilla up in front and bringing it down on back, like a teeter-totter if you will (or simply more up in front or down in back).  TMJ replacement has to do with the joints.

Actually he did but he never looked at it and brought it up. I think it was a 3rd scan or something. When I asked the technician if I should keep my lips relaxed and not force them close, she almost laughed at me and said no. She had no understanding about relax soft tissue posture being essential for treatment planning and during x-rays. Especially annoying since my main concern was my huge lip incompetence.

Damn. 

First I realize I have a functional and aesthetic problem so I feel low.  Then I find out they were caused in part by my teenage orthodontics so I feel worse.  Then I figure out there are surgeries available to help correct my issues, so I feel much better.  Then I find out how much they cost along with that my insurance won't cover them so I feel worse again.  Then I find a surgeon in my area with reasonable prices (which I still can't afford but can make it happen) and I feel hopeful.  Then I read he doesn't do what I'm almost certain needs to be done on me and there are few surgeons who do, none of whom are within my financial reach.

I feel so sorry for folks who undergo these operations and end up with unsatisfactory results.  I couldn't imagine.

Anyway this s**t is f**king depressing.  I'm out for the night.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 12:31:44 AM »
I consulted two surgeons locally, one does CCW and the other doesn't. I spoke to an army surgeon online and he does them. He told me most surgeons do it now but some who trained over 10 years ago still think it's unstable. Doesn't mean they all know how to do it or know how to do it well though. I would think you'd find it at any dental school at this point. This, btw, is one reason you can't trust your orthodontist's recommendation. CCW rotations have no dental impact so orthodontists just don't care about it. They judge only how the teeth look at the end.

sert

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 12:51:28 PM »
Lol can someone just answer the question?? I actually want to know the same thing the reason being I am in NYC. Isn't that standard in jaw surgery these days?

I'm having bi-max with CCW rotation w/ Dr Stephan Sachs in NYC. Might be worth looking into him

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 01:07:31 PM »
I'm having bi-max with CCW rotation w/ Dr Stephan Sachs in NYC. Might be worth looking into him

Someone on this forum said that Sachs doesn't do CCW rotation I guess they were wrong.  I've heard lots of good things about Stephen Sachs.  Dr Steven Park a reputable ENT told me I should see Dr Neugarten MD/DDS who works with Dr Sachs. 
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

meepmeepmeep

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 01:23:40 PM »
Dr. Terry Taylor in Houston does CCW and accepts a lot of different insurances. Also Dr. Reza Movahed in St. Louis. He was a fellow of Dr. Wolford and comes highly recommended by the man himself. He is probably in the 20k-30k range.

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 01:38:25 PM »
I emailed Derek Matthew Steinbacher, DMD, MD, FACS located in Ct. and his nurse wrote back saying he does jaw surgery with CCW rotation when needed.  I asked her how many jaw surgeries he does for sleep apnea per year and she said a little more than 100.   On a side note I was talking to a guy from another forum and he had double surgery with a female surgeon in Long Island NY who only does about 4 surgeries per year and his came out fantastic!!  He also said because she does so few jaw surgeries she was meticulous from beginning to end. Go figure. 

Dr Jamali also does CCW (I think)
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(