Author Topic: Confused about sliding genioplasty  (Read 702 times)

Purist

Confused about sliding genioplasty
« on: January 02, 2016, 05:11:21 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I posted about my disappointment that I was turned down for a BSSO/Lefort for a class 2.

I am getting a second and third opinion in February by two top UK surgeons.

I am still fearing the worst that both surgeons will be in agreement with the first.  In which case, I need to come up with a way to camourflage my severe retrognathia.

This is either through orthodontics - maybe extractions to pull my bottom teeth to pull in the the lower lip protrusion and get an SG.

A few people have commented that an SG would not give a good outcome which I am confused by?

I have a high mandibular plane (45 deg.), mentalis strain and gummy smile. I thought an SG can reduce vertical height and add a good 10-15mm horizontal? Even if the outcome was not perfect it must surely be a huge improvement over the
retrognathia I have now (even with a 10mm horizontal deficit)? The only things that bothers me is "witches chin".

I really need to get on top of this, I'm so self conscious I'm turning into a f**king recluse. Maybe an SG could be at the very least a short term fix?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 05:39:14 PM by Purist »

needadvancement

Re: Confused about sliding genioplasty
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 05:22:36 PM »
I thought an SG can reduce vertical height and add a good 10-15mm horizontal?

I don't think you can afford that aesthetically speaking, Imo you need a significant SG both vertical and horizontal advancement. You would need that in any case on top of a jaw surgery(which is your best option) but if not, you would still improve your profile quite a bit with chin augmentation just not as much as BSSO.

But I'm sure that the surgeons in February will accept your case so it would probably be better to forget about this topic for now.