Author Topic: tooth removal for braces + jaw surgery  (Read 758 times)

ettubrute

tooth removal for braces + jaw surgery
« on: January 06, 2016, 03:07:49 PM »
visiting an orthodontist soon. Ive been to another orthodontist before that said I need to remove several teeth before braces and jaw surgery. ive seen some people claim that tooth removal can have negative effects on the face. can anyone confirm this as true? should I avoid tooth removal at all costs? thanks.

thinkingme

Re: tooth removal for braces + jaw surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 04:22:54 PM »
all jaws and teeth not same we need to see ur teeths and jaws for say something. u can censor ur eyes or nose. we need see only jaw chin and teeth. like this http://ovortho.com/jaw-surgery/ 4 premolar+4wisdom for jaw surgery and corrected

JayJaw

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 09:18:41 PM »
That is a crazy crazy good result. Wow.

kjohnt

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:11:25 PM »
Orthodontics for jaw surgery prep and orthodontics by itself are two different things. 

After tooth extractions, the ortho will pull the non-extracted teeth back toward the molars and retract your jaws into your face.  If you get surgery, the surgeon then moves your jaws back out and into correct position (i.e. looks good).  If not, your jaw stays retracted and the ortho tips your teeth to try to cover up your bad bite... but you can't hide bad bone structure, only bad teeth (i.e. looks horrible).

If you can avoid tooth extractions altogether as prep for surgery, I think that's the best scenario.  But if your arches won't support it, that means extractions or arch expansion, which adds cost and other potential issues if even an option.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:20:18 PM by kjohnt »