Author Topic: hyperventilation vs hypoventilation  (Read 3842 times)

trigeminalneuralgia

hyperventilation vs hypoventilation
« on: March 28, 2013, 07:25:04 AM »
this is from my tmj book and it corresponds with my sx

(when i looked at my CBC (all of you guys have this done, its like the most common test), my CO2 is always at the bottom of the range)

Chronic overbreathing can cause CO2 levels in the blood to drop by 50 percent. Although we are often told that carbon dioxide gas is “waste,” it plays a critical role in many bodily functions. Running too low on this important gas can wreak havoc with the pH balance in your blood. This chemical change results in your sensory and motor nerves becoming more irritable—all because of low CO2.. This means low CO2 could make your sensory nerves more sensitive to irritants, which could, in turn, make you feel more pain than normal. And perhaps if your motor nerves become more jittery it might make you more likely to clench and grind your teeth or tense your muscles. New research links hyperirritable nerves with a multitude of chronic pain conditions, including TMJ disorders. These connections should be researched. Perhaps learning to breathe more slowly and regularly could normalize the CO2 levels and, in turn, calm the nerves, making them less irritable without the use of drugs or surgery... just plain, old healthy breathing. Your breathing is affected by many factors, including temperature, pain, fear, excitement, and happiness. It can also be influenced for good or bad by your fitness level. Healthy high-performance athletes and those who exercise regularly strengthen their breathing muscles and improve their body’s ability to gather and use oxygen and get rid of the right amount of carbon dioxide.

Hypoventilation is less common, and it occurs when you don’t breathe enough. According to the National Institutes of Health, obesity is the most common cause of hypoventilation. The excess weight applies pressure on the person’s chest, making it difficult to breathe, and usually results in the body having too much carbon dioxide and too little oxygen. Clinically, I notice that my larger patients tend to be uncomfortable lying flat on their back and may have to sleep on their sides. Many suffer from sleep apnea as well.

so i guess people with bad sleep apnea would have the inverse of what i have, which would be high co2

trigeminalneuralgia

Re: hyperventilation vs hypoventilation
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:57:13 AM »
You might! 

The idea it can change your blood ph is pretty scary
Im tryng to breathe through my nose as much as possible now. 

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:51:15 PM »
Ideally you should breathe approx 12 breath per minute

Alue

• Private
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »
It is a buildup of carbon dioxide that causes a person to want to breathe (or rather increase their ventilatory rate).  I think the body usually does a good job of regulating in the long term unless there is some underlying medical condition (copd etc).  What is your O2 sat normally? 
I have kind of wondered this too, though.  I have been told I have a larger than normal lung capacity (by a pretty good margin), but I rarely take deep breaths. 

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 10:09:27 AM »
the highest its ever been is 23 (19-32 range)

but normally its bottom of the range

22 (22-32 range) for example

i have a twisted elevated ribcage and a slight pidgeon chest too
im sure i breathe badly at the doctors office (anxiety!) but the description in this book fits me so well and i know i dont breathe right, doctor or no doctor