Author Topic: BSSO vs. IVRO with Lefort 1  (Read 10332 times)

chynee

Re: BSSO vs. IVRO with Lefort 1
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 06:09:59 AM »
Damn IDK... I personally still question that you should touch your mandible at all.  I'm thinking maxillary advancement and slight impaction to offset the increases tooth/gum show (to keep it the same).  No BSSO or IRVO.  This would very mildly make your face shorter and give better projection in the mid-face.  It would also save you a lot of money and from the potential complications of altering the mandible.

Not that folks should compare their everyday pictures with magazine photos of celebrities, but just to compare profiles, look at this picture of Zoe Saldana.  I've always thought she looks nice from profile view.  I don't think her mandible is any less projected than yours.  But you can clearly see her maxilla sits more forward.

Update! You should be a surgeon. My orthodontist believes I’m ready for surgery so I just saw my surgeon yesterday for a CT scan and some measurements. The surgeon has now proposed not touching the mandible at all and just doing LF1. He measured for aesthetics and said my chin really does come out to the “ideal” place based on my nose, and that bringing the maxilla forward will even everything out and fill in my midface/cheeks more.

strongjawman

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 09:32:24 AM »
Does the step off created via maxillary advancement have anything to do with the chimp look?

Also, surely you're surgeon would provide you as much info on each procedure and then give you their expert opinion, rather than send you on your way to do your own research???

boyo

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 12:53:45 PM »
Does the step off created via maxillary advancement have anything to do with the chimp look?

It's more about your malars/zygos getting left too far behind the mouth.

chynee

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 10:31:01 AM »
Also, surely you're surgeon would provide you as much info on each procedure and then give you their expert opinion, rather than send you on your way to do your own research???

He has. At the time I posted the original post, I was still very early on in orthodontic treatment. He knows that I am obsessed with understanding how it all works, so he recommended I do the research. After getting a CT scan the other day, he said actually LF1 only would likely be best. He’s doing the surgery in some program to view different outcomes. I could possibly still have BSSO or IVRO but I go back soon to discuss all the options after he manipulates everything digitally.

strongjawman

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 06:05:04 PM »
Ah I see, wishing you all the best with whichever procedure you decide to go ahead with!

kjohnt

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 10:56:00 PM »
Update! You should be a surgeon. My orthodontist believes I’m ready for surgery so I just saw my surgeon yesterday for a CT scan and some measurements. The surgeon has now proposed not touching the mandible at all and just doing LF1. He measured for aesthetics and said my chin really does come out to the “ideal” place based on my nose, and that bringing the maxilla forward will even everything out and fill in my midface/cheeks more.

Yep.  You'd be making a mistake by reducing your mandible.  I'd love to have the projection you do.  Google side profile pictures of attractive models/celebs/whoever, and they all have nice forward growth.  Your only issue is your maxilla didn't keep up.

Trust me, you're going to be looking really good a few months post-op when most of the swelling has subsided ;)

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 01:46:30 AM »
Totally agree with Kjohn on this, just saw this thread and I think you have the potential to be "model" beautiful when everything "pops" into place with a lefort 1 advancement. You're gonna look amazing.

I was immediately concerned about the mandible setback issue because from what I've heard it can actually be quite uncomfortable in that many complain bringing their lower jaw back gives them less space for their tongue to lie in your mouth and it can drive you crazy. With the lefort 1 you'll have way more space in your mouth and it will feel amazing and so will your breathing. Make sure he does an alar cinch and whatever else to prevent the nose from widening too much and if it can be done with a slight rotation or angling so that that you don't get the upper lip "chimp" look. But you don't have a long space between the vermillion of your lip and the base of your nose so you should be okay. Good luck. You're gonna look great. You have awesome features, beautiful wide-set eyes and overally good proportions. You don't have to show much gum show so I don't know if impaction could shorten the face a bit, but bring it up with your surgeon.

Vic

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 03:46:08 AM »
Damn IDK... I personally still question that you should touch your mandible at all.  I'm thinking maxillary advancement and slight impaction to offset the increases tooth/gum show (to keep it the same).  No BSSO or IRVO.  This would very mildly make your face shorter and give better projection in the mid-face.  It would also save you a lot of money and from the potential complications of altering the mandible.

Not that folks should compare their everyday pictures with magazine photos of celebrities, but just to compare profiles, look at this picture of Zoe Saldana.  I've always thought she looks nice from profile view.  I don't think her mandible is any less projected than yours.  But you can clearly see her maxilla sits more forward.

You're comparing two pics of different ethnic backgrounds though which is completely wrong. Zoe Saldana's jaw shape and slight teeth protrusion is part of her ethnicity which usually have a more prognathic mandible than caucasians

kjohnt

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 06:40:58 PM »
You're comparing two pics of different ethnic backgrounds though which is completely wrong. Zoe Saldana's jaw shape and slight teeth protrusion is part of her ethnicity which usually have a more prognathic mandible than caucasians

No, I'm comparing her face to an attractive ideal.  Ethnicity is irrelevant.

chynee

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »
Here ya go! Went with LF1 and BSSO. 10 months post op now.  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

dusselgurr

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 02:38:51 PM »
Looks amazing!
Could we see the side profile? :)

chynee

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 07:33:58 AM »
Looks amazing!
I don’t have any recent ones of the side profile! I have a couple that are only 2 months post op that I’ve attached, but I still had some swelling.  I’ll make note to have someone take an updated side profile this weekend.

chynee

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 07:36:28 AM »
Looks amazing!

chynee

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 01:57:48 PM »
Looks amazing!
Just taken yesterday

Bobbit

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 05:31:48 PM »
Here ya go! Went with LF1 and BSSO. 10 months post op now.  ;D

You are one lucky lady. 

Put this all behind you & live a good life.