Author Topic: Opening extraction spaces: appliance vs. surgery  (Read 625 times)

meepmeepmeep

Opening extraction spaces: appliance vs. surgery
« on: February 03, 2016, 10:31:58 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've had long distance consults with a few surgeons and one face-focused orthodontist so far. I consulted this orthodontist because initially I was seeking non-surgical options to restore my facial balance after having my maxillary bicuspids extracted around the age of 10. The ortho suggested that multi-segmented Lefort I and BSSO with CCW would be the best option for me and that prior to surgery he would open my top extraction spaces with an sagittal palate expanding appliance (he estimated 4-6 months for 7mm) and then I would go into braces. Since seeing him I have had preliminary consults with a few surgeons, one of whom suggested opening the extraction spaces surgically because opening extractions with an appliance takes a very long time in an adult and an extremely skilled ortho. Doing it during surgery would save me time and money but I am also taking into consideration that the roots of my maxillary canines are quite receded, I think as a result of the large movements of retractive orthodontics. So I'm not sure which route is safest for my teeth. I still have a lot of consulting to do but I am wondering if anyone knows the merits or risks involved with both approaches? Any advice is appreciated!

april

• Private
Re: Opening extraction spaces: appliance vs. surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 10:36:13 AM »
How long is a 'very long time' in an adult?