Author Topic: yoga at home vs studio  (Read 2873 times)

treevernal

• Private
yoga at home vs studio
« on: March 29, 2013, 12:18:34 PM »
Just wondering what others' take is on doing yoga at home with a DVD versus going to a studio?  I def like the cost benefit of doing it at home but I worry about improper form?  Anyone have experience with this?

Lazlo

• Private
Re: yoga at home vs studio
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 12:29:09 PM »
Definitely, definitely, definitely a studio.

There are so many reasons for this I cannot even begin. And I've been doing yoga on and off for the past 5 years. And it's amazing esp. psychologically. It is also pretty hard at first.

There are too many reasons to list why a studio is better. It has to do with things from keeping better form, motivation, actually being in the flow and the moment for the full hour without distractions. But there's also something much more beneficial to doing it with a group of people. The only important thing is to ensure that you think of it as an individual practice and not something your doing in competition with others. Yoga is NOT competitive. And it's not about how well you do the postures or any posture but about synchronizing breath to movement.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 12:45:27 PM »
Interesting!  Thank you.  Perhaps ill have to look at it as an investment :)

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 01:01:11 PM »
Join a gym that offers classes.  Paying per class seems expensive.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 01:27:36 PM »
In a perfect world id do a few private sessions in a studio.  I think it depends on how hard the yoga is...for pilates its hard so i would NOT do it in a group
Then do it at home regularly in front of a mirror

I do all my execises in front of a mirror bc i have crappy proprioception