Author Topic: Masseter Muscle Atrophy?  (Read 2362 times)

april

• Private
Masseter Muscle Atrophy?
« on: April 22, 2016, 08:48:31 AM »
One side of my face looks really skeletal - yep, only one side. I have a prominent cheekbone, really gaunt and hollow cheek and prejowl drooping. But the other side is fine, it's more softer/round. I can't work out what has happened. All I can think is muscle atrophy?

Has anyone had that happen?

Background: I haven't had jaw surgery yet, only ortho + extractions as a teen, then wisdom teeth removal + now more ortho.

Take a look at this girl on realself who had botox in her masseters. One side of my face has the same shape as in her after photo. https://www.realself.com/review/va-botox-masseter-muscle-gave-jowls-fat-pockets-mouth#

Do you think a BSSO will make my gaunt side look even more exaggerated? I don't want it to get any worse. I'll start chewing more on that side, in hopes it'll build up. (But I already have worn down jaw joints so it's probably not the greatest of plans!!). I don't think it could be due to age-related fat loss - fat loss would happen more symmetrical, right?

What do you think could help? Fat grafting, fillers?
Can any type of jaw surgery improve hollowness under the cheekbone?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:50:58 AM by Bee18 »

Bobbit

Re: Masseter Muscle Atrophy?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 04:06:55 PM »
One side of my face looks really skeletal - yep, only one side. I have a prominent cheekbone, really gaunt and hollow cheek and prejowl drooping. But the other side is fine, it's more softer/round. I can't work out what has happened. All I can think is muscle atrophy?

Has anyone had that happen?

Background: I haven't had jaw surgery yet, only ortho + extractions as a teen, then wisdom teeth removal + now more ortho.

Take a look at this girl on realself who had botox in her masseters. One side of my face has the same shape as in her after photo. https://www.realself.com/review/va-botox-masseter-muscle-gave-jowls-fat-pockets-mouth#

Do you think a BSSO will make my gaunt side look even more exaggerated? I don't want it to get any worse. I'll start chewing more on that side, in hopes it'll build up. (But I already have worn down jaw joints so it's probably not the greatest of plans!!). I don't think it could be due to age-related fat loss - fat loss would happen more symmetrical, right?

What do you think could help? Fat grafting, fillers?
Can any type of jaw surgery improve hollowness under the cheekbone?

Bee ,

This is unlikely, so don't panic !!!  But there is a syndrome associated with that type of one-sided facial muscle atrophy.  A neighbor of mine had that as a young adult.

Check out  "Parry Romberg Syndrome" - -  muscle atrophy of the face. 

There is one report on Yelp of that being corrected for a TV person whose face was withered on one side only.   That was corrected by plastic surgery using cartilage transfer and grafts  and several rounds of apparently skillful fat grafting.