Author Topic: NHS Consult Advice  (Read 1400 times)

Eilerson

NHS Consult Advice
« on: February 29, 2016, 07:18:57 AM »
 I had a consultation with an NHS orthodontist who mentioned a probable upper expansion and, maybe, lower expansion followed by double jaw surgery.

He was reluctant to go into details before the consult with the surgeon (this week)

I'm 30 yeards old.  Had my upper 4s removed in my teens, other than that I've got all my teeth including fully erupted wisdom teeth. I've got a crossbite and open bite., front teeth are practically edge to edge but don't make contact.

The primary reason is functional but obviously I want the best aesthetic result. What should I be looking out for/need?

Self done profile below, couple of x-rays attached.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 04:59:50 AM by Eilerson »

triot

Re: NHS Consult Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 06:40:39 AM »
Expansion (upper/lower)
CW-Rotation
Both jaws horizontally advanced by a bit.

Your Zygomas aren't as bad as I would expect. But you have a retruded upper midface. No easy fix for that.

I'm not an uber-expert but that would be my guess.

Get your jaws done before. You will greatly benefit healthwise.

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 10:14:49 AM »
Expansion (upper/lower)
CW-Rotation
Both jaws horizontally advanced by a bit.

Your Zygomas aren't as bad as I would expect. But you have a retruded upper midface. No easy fix for that.

I'm not an uber-expert but that would be my guess.

Get your jaws done before. You will greatly benefit healthwise.

How do you expand the lower jaws to coincide with the upper palate expansion???    My only uneducated guess would be something like wilckodontics which would expand the dental arch but not the jaw bone.  Can they do a horizontal cut to the chin during a genioplasty to make the mandible look wider???
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

Eilerson

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 03:18:25 AM »
 Had the joint ortho/surgeon clinic today.

Preliminary plan.

Expansion with braces only as they decompenstate the bite in preparation, no extractions... 12-18 months

BiMax surgery involving impacting and bringing forward the Maxilla,  clockwise rotation.

Said something about having to careful of the relation between the nose and the glabella. They explained that my mandible was a little large but the real problem was how the maxilla had developed..

Eilerson

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 03:29:46 PM »
 What type of lefort do you think is most likely to be used?

triot

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 04:15:55 PM »
What type of lefort do you think is most likely to be used?

Probably LeFort I + BSSO. If they would do a higher Lefort level you'd know by now. Ask your surgeon.