Author Topic: X-rays Without Referral UK?  (Read 1361 times)

Starburns

X-rays Without Referral UK?
« on: March 08, 2016, 12:54:06 PM »
Is it possible to have an OPG and lateral cephalogram done in the UK without a referral?

I'm in Scotland but have an appointment with a surgeon in London next month. They said that they will likely need these images but it will cost £2250, I had these done a few years ago before orthodontic treatment and it only cost around £150 for both. They said that I can bring my own but so far i've been unable to find anywhere willing to do them without a referral. I'm certain that the maxillofacial surgeon isn't going to give me a referral without seeing me, especially if they can generate £2250 from not doing so.

I approached two different orthodontists to see if they could provide these images but they both tried to steer me away from surgery and felt that they could make a difference by removing some more of my upper teeth and pulling them back to meet my lower teeth. Since I've already had all of my 1st molars removed (which left large gaps) and that the £5000 quoted would only result in a 1mm reduction in overjet at best, I didn't think this was the best approach for me. While a reduction of my overjet would be great, it wasn't even really the reason I was looking for a consultation...

I've heard that you can only get a referral from a GP or the NHS, ideally I'd like to avoid going anywhere near the NHS.

It's a bit of a weird question but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

kjohnt

Re: X-rays Without Referral UK?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 01:24:52 PM »
Tells one of those orthos that you're considering doing what they've outlined.  They'll move forward with x-rays and such.  Then say you've reconsidered and want a second opinion.

Here in the states, or at least at my ortho's office, x-rays are part of the consultation process and are free.

Starburns

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 11:40:48 AM »
Thank you! Don't know why I didn't think of trying that, it's not like I need to be totally upfront with them  :P 

Vic

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 11:34:44 AM »
Is it possible to have an OPG and lateral cephalogram done in the UK without a referral?

I'm in Scotland but have an appointment with a surgeon in London next month. They said that they will likely need these images but it will cost £2250, I had these done a few years ago before orthodontic treatment and it only cost around £150 for both. They said that I can bring my own but so far i've been unable to find anywhere willing to do them without a referral. I'm certain that the maxillofacial surgeon isn't going to give me a referral without seeing me, especially if they can generate £2250 from not doing so.

I approached two different orthodontists to see if they could provide these images but they both tried to steer me away from surgery and felt that they could make a difference by removing some more of my upper teeth and pulling them back to meet my lower teeth. Since I've already had all of my 1st molars removed (which left large gaps) and that the £5000 quoted would only result in a 1mm reduction in overjet at best, I didn't think this was the best approach for me. While a reduction of my overjet would be great, it wasn't even really the reason I was looking for a consultation...

I've heard that you can only get a referral from a GP or the NHS, ideally I'd like to avoid going anywhere near the NHS.

It's a bit of a weird question but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you in London, then go to Cavendish Imaging on Harley Street after you've seen your surgeon, ask your surgeon to write you a referral and take it with you or ask them to email the referral to Cavendish imaging before hand and go there before your appointment. The x-rays cost £50 a each there and you just turn up with your referral, so no need to book a time