Author Topic: Looking for advice on types of surgery options or well reputed doctors.  (Read 2524 times)

toddstratt

I was looking for some advice for procedures to fix my facial issues and bite. I was originally planning a double jaw surgery done through Dr. Arnett of Santa Barbara. Upon going to Dr. Arnett though he quoted 55k-65k up front. I cannot afford that, so I am looking for someone in my insurance network If at all possible. I am also looking into other surgeries because it seems there are more than I originally assumed such as CCW rotation, sliding genio, chin wing, etc. I have no idea where to start with all of that and it really makes me confused about the whole process. I originally posted this question in another section but it was never moved per my request or answered so figured I would post it here as originally intended instead. I am going to get a hold of my x rays in the next couple of days and post those as well, but basically I have a major class II overbite and pretty severe overjet, it makes my top front teeth appear completely horizontal in my x rays. I am also curious on people's opinions as to overbites causing thin faces. I notice through certain angles my face below the cheekbones almost seems to disappear at certain angles. though it looks good from the front and full side angle, there is definitely this concave type of look that seems to stem from my recessed jaw.

I added some pics but its kind of hard to capture what I mean unless I made a video or something. I am curious to know if these surgeries do anything to add horizontal width to my lower jaw to resolve that issue, or if this is something that might happen normally with the surgery itself. My ortho who took the x rays actually said I had a very strong and straight jawline, but the way it was recessed gave my jawline a much different look. I plan on getting this surgery first and foremost to fix the issues with my bite, tmj, sleep apnea, and other issues related to dentofacial deformity. But I want to get the best aesthetic result I can, So I plan to see a surgeon who has a focus on aesthetic results on top dental malformations exclusively.  Gunson would have been ideal but he is just too damn expensive given my financial situation lol.

Thanks for any help!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 02:45:14 AM by toddstratt »

TMKA

Looks to me like all you need is your lower jaw advanced. Your upper jaw and chin look fine. I don't think your case would be complicated. Just find a experienced ortho who works with an experienced surgeon and it should be pretty straight forward. Probably cost around $7000 for braces and $15,000 for total surgery costs. My insurance paid for the surgery, but not the braces.

Bobbit

Where do you live ?

molestrip

• Private
Routine case, you're gonna look awesome. But likely not a single jaw case, just not the way this deformity happens.

toddstratt

Where do you live ?

I live in Southern California. Thanks for the help you guys. I just have a hard time understanding these other surgeries people get consecutively done with the double jaw/single jaw surgeries. What causes some to need genio plasty, chin wing, or CCW rotation over double jaw surgery and the like. I should follow up with Dr. Gunson's office and find the best surgical approach he would suggest. It would be so much easier for me to get everything done through them, but without insurance coverage it is not realistic for me. Hence why I am looking into recommendations of other reputable doctors.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:11:31 PM by toddstratt »

kjohnt

I too seek an affordable, competent surgeon.  It's difficult for sure.  I'll let you know when I go on some consultations.  I had one scheduled tomorrow but another poster here scared me away from that surgeon.

A lateral cephalometric radiograph is needed to accurately diagnose.  I can tell you from your first post alone BSSO to bring the lower jaw forward.  Your labiomental sulcus is deep but need to see underlying bone structure.  I'd just guess sliding genioplasty to lengthen but not sure... it's possible it needs lengthened and actually brought back then CCW jaw rotation to bring everything back forward. 

toddstratt

I too seek an affordable, competent surgeon.  It's difficult for sure.  I'll let you know when I go on some consultations.  I had one scheduled tomorrow but another poster here scared me away from that surgeon.

A lateral cephalometric radiograph is needed to accurately diagnose.  I can tell you from your first post alone BSSO to bring the lower jaw forward.  Your labiomental sulcus is deep but need to see underlying bone structure.  I'd just guess sliding genioplasty to lengthen but not sure... it's possible it needs lengthened and actually brought back then CCW jaw rotation to bring everything back forward.

Thanks man, I appreciate the help in forwarding some good surgeons. Yeah I had the pictures taken at the orthodontists office. Still need to run by there and grab a copy of them so I can post it here.

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
dr sinn

chinnychinchin

I'm a Gunson patient and the ortho I work with, aside from highly recommending Arnett & Gunson, also recommends a jaw surgery group (team of 2 surgeons) out of Century City. I forgot their names but might want to look into them.

toddstratt

I'm a Gunson patient and the ortho I work with, aside from highly recommending Arnett & Gunson, also recommends a jaw surgery group (team of 2 surgeons) out of Century City. I forgot their names but might want to look into them.

There's actually quite a few that operate out of that city so I would probably need to ask Arnett.

toddstratt

Re: Looking for advice on types of surgery options or well reputed doctors.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 04:01:41 PM »
dr sinn

I heard of him before and looked into it. Definitely thought about going over there but would have to travel to Dallas, Texas to see him. Good to know his work is recommended on a site like this.