Author Topic: Shortening midface....AH MAYBE ONE DAY....  (Read 99988 times)

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Shortening midface....AH MAYBE ONE DAY....
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2015, 01:04:47 PM »
dr Sinn is mentioned in every 2nd thread on this forum, he truly is a jesus christ of maxillo facial surgery.

No you have to be VERY careful here. What happens is someone (in this case me and earl) go for a consult. The surgeon may promise you the world. But we have no concrete results except for Earl's osteotomy that was done very well for his orbital rims. I'll be the first person from this forum to have surgery with him so I cannot recommend him yet. I'm the guinea pig on this one, but I've thrown all my chips in, I have nothing and everything to lose at this point.

terry947

« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2015, 02:45:22 PM »
lazlo im sure you'll be fine and going to get good results. Obviously just make sure youre getting the right procedures....

PloskoPlus

« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2015, 04:58:06 AM »
Exactly. This is one of the reasons why I still didn't embark on surgery train, despite the fact that some surgeons told me very promising (optimistic?) words, but at the end, they're still a sellers and I am a costumer .Also, not showing any of the before-afters with same type of skeletal problem as I have and undergoing the same procedure that I need, I'm hardly buying anything they're saying, not to mention that they show examples done on females, which have totally different facial structure and often results are way more successful on female sex as well. On top of that, 3 of 5 of them do have a private practise, so the bias due to financial interest might be even more reasonable to take into account, for a comparison to public health institutions.

Then when it comes to midface, I think there is a high degree of gamble, especially if you don't have some severe deformity, which may be commonly the case on this forum, at least according the the posts that some guys are posting here. Custom midface  procedures are a big grain of salt for me - for instance that guy you mentioned above, who indeed undergone a "modified" lefortiii (a modified infraorbital-zygomatic osteotomy, or however you call it since it's custom osteotomy) could gave him not that satisfying results, because performing this kind of stuff can give very feminizing look, especially if over-advanced. I could be very wrong, but it's what I saw from his very vague pre and post-op images and feminising effect is common in ZSO procedure as well. Very grey area, if you ask me, so be careful.

I would also like to know, what's your surgical plan and initial skeletal conditions?

IMO, it very much depends on the shape of the bones as well.  My surgeon did a full lefort iii on non syndromal patients.  They were not feminized.  They did not become models either.

analuv1009

« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2016, 08:14:08 AM »
I'm confused, is it possible to shorten the midface or no? And if so how?

geijutsu

« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2016, 03:01:53 PM »
Not possible right now because even if the underlying bones were shortened, the soft tissue on the outside will remain the same length.

i.e someone with a long midface have a long distance from the nasion to the base of the nose. If the surgeon were to impact his bones around the nasal cavity, his bone structure underneath will become shorter but the long nose length on the outside will remain the same distance. The only way to match the soft tissue with the new shortened skeletal structure is to excise the extra length from the soft tissue and stitch it back which is practically impossible at this time.

JayJaw

« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2016, 06:59:41 PM »
I agree with you. A short midface isn't inherently better. I think having a longer midface with a balance of jaw width is pteferrable. It is when this longer midface is paired with narrow jaws and cheekbones... Then it isn't balanced.

The downside is that jaw surgery has a marginal impact on jaw and cheekbone width. The only way to accomplish that isbpaste, fillers or implants. I guess in some instances osteotomy.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2019, 01:31:57 AM »
Bumped into this one tonight.
Still the best title in the history of the forum.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

ben from UK

« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2019, 07:35:28 AM »
She has no midface problem. Het philtrum is too long and her chin is too long. Liplift + shortening or shaving chin might do the trick. I wouldn't call that a midfaceproblem. First, we have to define what a long midface is by the way.

Also, long midface for women is usually more problematic than for males. Males can lengthen lower third to balance things out, women usually can't do that.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2019, 12:27:18 PM »
LOL GJ! Holla at your boy!

Dot

« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2019, 06:12:46 PM »
i would say she looks MUCH better in your second photo Pekay.

Are you high? Thats a terrible photoshop pic. She only has a long upper lip anyway her midface is fine. Someone like SJPhas a truly long midface