Author Topic: Does anyone wish their jaws were advanced more for functional reasons  (Read 5012 times)

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Does anyone wish their jaws were advanced more for functional reasons
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 05:13:16 PM »
Lazlo,

Yes, I think.

I probably have a short mandibular bone. Short but long. I really hope there is room for more advancement, somewhere, anywhere.

well i hate to bring this up since its been talked to death but there's alway DO for growing bones.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 06:03:39 PM »
Lazlo,

Yes, I think.

I probably have a short mandibular bone. Short but long. I really hope there is room for more advancement, somewhere, anywhere.
Hard to visualise. Supposedly chin wings pull the soft tissue and help alleviate sleep apnea.

jawsaw

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 06:11:10 PM »
By short but long I mean short horizontally but long vertically.

Plosko,

Can chin wing be done after genio?

Can someone provide some GOOD examples of what a chin wing is capable of by means of before and after photos. I can not seem to find any. I hear Stupidjaws had two?

Lazlo,

DO, Meaning distraction osteogenesis? I guess I missed the thread where the topic was beaten into the ground. Im pretty much down for anything. Care to provide links to some info, and some quality before and after pics, of fully grown adults.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 10:09:48 PM »
By short but long I mean short horizontally but long vertically.
You mean long ramus, short mandible? (I am the opposite).

Plosko,

Can chin wing be done after genio?

I don't see why not.  Chin wings are just genioplasties  - the cut goes all the way back.  The BSSO and genioplasty will hardware will have to come out.  I think 9-12 months after your first surgery you can have a chin wing.

Can someone provide some GOOD examples of what a chin wing is capable of by means of before and after photos. I can not seem to find any. I hear Stupidjaws had two?
Have a look on Triaca's website.  Sure they are cherry picked and I suspect the best examples required multiple chin wings.

DO, Meaning distraction osteogenesis? I guess I missed the thread where the topic was beaten into the ground. Im pretty much down for anything. Care to provide links to some info, and some quality before and after pics, of fully grown adults.
You can consider multiple chin wings to be a form of distraction osteogenenis, LOL.  The thing with wings is that there is only so much that can be grafted in one go.  And the grafts can resorb unpredictably.  So multiple operations may be required for the best result.  You could say they are like nose jobs - expect to need to do 2 to get the best result.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:49:57 PM by GJ »

jawsaw

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 11:33:41 AM »
I saw some diagrams of the chin wing procedure, where the chin stays the same and the "wing" is dropped near the ramus, with a graft to fill the empty space, elongating the ramus, which results in a more square jaw. This is cool and all, but it seems purely cosmetic. What is the benefit of this from a functional perspective? Is there another kind of chin wing where the "wing" is advanced forward?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 02:10:06 PM »
I saw some diagrams of the chin wing procedure, where the chin stays the same and the "wing" is dropped near the ramus, with a graft to fill the empty space, elongating the ramus, which results in a more square jaw. This is cool and all, but it seems purely cosmetic. What is the benefit of this from a functional perspective? Is there another kind of chin wing where the "wing" is advanced forward?
That's just one possibility.  The wing is definitely moved forward as well. Otherwise people would not be getting them as an alternative to jaw surgery to camouflage their class ii.

mike888miller

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 03:09:53 PM »
i just read this, has also been in contact with posnick. i love the fact that he is willing and able to advance maxilla significantly, which in my case is needs, and acording to docs gives a better result than being conservite wint the max and trying to acomplish the length needed with the gne

ditterbo

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 06:56:27 PM »
i just read this, has also been in contact with posnick. i love the fact that he is willing and able to advance maxilla significantly, which in my case is needs, and acording to docs gives a better result than being conservite wint the max and trying to acomplish the length needed with the gne

Is he suggesting extractions by chance?

mike888miller

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »
chin wing will only provide limited airway increase. look at posnicks text book, he always includes the gne (airway effect of gne and cw is the same), but he is clear that the most important factors are advacnement of max, lesser degree man, and then the nose procedures that he loves to do, ie straightening Septum, removing swolen tissue

i had a fight with mr doc, as he was trying to force me into Forward head posture, when we took the pics, it is amazing how Little the docs understand about posture, and that the true horizontal will be impacted once you have had your surgery in caqse this included in aggressive sagital bimax advancement.

now the kicker - your changed posture also Impacts your resting bite, ie it is super important that you arrive at the doc with as Little muscletensness in your face and jaw as possible, as this will otherwise distort the analysis