Author Topic: disk question  (Read 1224 times)

trigeminalneuralgia

disk question
« on: April 02, 2013, 07:39:08 AM »
if my jaw clicks every time i open my mouth all the way (on both sides)
does that mean my disk is being displaced?  i had xrays of my jaw but only when it was closed

these kinds of stats always baffle me:

According to the National Institutes of Health, jaw clicking is fairly common in the general population. In fact, approximately 50 percent of people, without any symptoms, report some TMJ sounds and their lower jaw deviates when they open.

actually i take it back, since breathing through my mouth i think my left side is clicking less but who knows

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:57:36 AM by trigeminalneuralgia »

trigeminalneuralgia

Re: disk question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »
nm need to research more into this

shes citing

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra0802472
who is citing
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2312947

The prevalence among adults in the United States of at least one sign of temporomandibular disorders is reported as 40 to 75% and among those with at least one symptom, 33%.7,9,10 TMJ sounds and deviation on opening the jaw occur in approximately 50% of otherwise asymptomatic persons; these are considered within the range of normal and do not require treatment.11 Other signs, such as decreased mouth opening and occlusal changes, occur in fewer than 5% of the general population.12 Temporomandibular disorders are most commonly reported in young to middle-aged adults (20 to 50 years of age). The female-to-male ratio of patients seeking care has been reported as ranging from 3:1 to as high as 9:1.10,13 Despite the high prevalence of temporomandibular disorders, signs, and symptoms, only 5 to 10% of those with symptoms require treatment, given the wide spectrum of symptoms and the fact that the natural history of this disorder suggests that in up to 40% of patients the symptoms resolve spontaneously.7,14
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:45:33 AM by trigeminalneuralgia »