Author Topic: How stable are inferior maxilla movements  (Read 1247 times)

Marco90

How stable are inferior maxilla movements
« on: April 23, 2016, 09:37:47 PM »
I will be having a 5mm downgraft along with maxilla and mandibular advancement and was wondering how stable downgrafts are with the current techniques surgeon use. Most reports I can find on this topic are pretty outdated or perhaps there hasn't been any significant improvement related to this procedure.

PloskoPlus

Re: How stable are inferior maxilla movements
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 09:51:21 PM »
I will be having a 5mm downgraft along with maxilla and mandibular advancement and was wondering how stable downgrafts are with the current techniques surgeon use. Most reports I can find on this topic are pretty outdated or perhaps there hasn't been any significant improvement related to this procedure.

The least stable movement there is.  But if you need it, you need it.  It helps if you don't grind your teeth (you may be at night, which you're not aware of).  Different surgeons claim different graft materials are better: porous HA blocks, cadaver bone, autologous bone, demineralised bone, the concoction that A&G use, etc..

But you are right, there are few studies, some contradictory.  The plates themselves provide most of the stability, AFAIK.  Again, some surgeons use big plates, some surgeons use mini-plates.

Slowmotive

• ibcbet link
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:14:01 AM »
The starting point is that the very thoughtful, I wanted to know more.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 08:57:23 AM »
You mean an inferior downgraft? Generally, we don't do superior downgrafts. To a rough approximation, adding bone is unstable, removing bone is stable. Big movements are unstable, small movements are stable. Refer to the hierarchy of stability for more detail. I'd guess you're getting large movements based on that amount, 10mm+ to the chin. This is one of the least stable surgeries that can be done but, still, it's a surgery that can be done with high success rates. You'll be fine, don't worry :)