Author Topic: Vomiting after surgery..  (Read 1198 times)

immaculate.beast

Vomiting after surgery..
« on: June 01, 2016, 11:05:27 AM »
I have had several surgeries in the past (non orthognathic) and every time I get sever nausea and I vomit for the first 24/48 hours after surgery, despite anti nausea meds.
I am terrified of choking on my own vomit, haha, I know it sounds ridiculous but it scares me.. Are we allowed to take the bands off if we feel sick so we have room to vomit? I am also afraid of infection because of the vomiting.
Did anyone experience a lot of vomiting after their surgery?
A lot of barf talk.. sorry!

Vic

Re: Vomiting after surgery..
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 11:12:10 AM »
That's normal. It's just a mix of the anaesthetic and morphine that makes you feel sick. Just make sure you're sleeping inclined after surgery

immaculate.beast

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 11:21:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply Vic!
I'll have to borrow a recliner from someone for after surgery, sleeping situation didn't even occur to me, but that is extremely important!

kjohnt

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 06:30:13 PM »
I wouldn't eat solid food 24 hours prior to surgery if it's a huge concern.  I think you're not supposed to have anything for 12 hours anyway, so maybe just ice cream and protein shakes the 12 before that to ensure you'll only vomit liquid to make it easier.

marcus3415

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 08:41:16 PM »
You can rent a recliner online!

Do NOT take your bands off and DO NOT drink anything but clear liquids afterwards

TMKA

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 07:36:52 AM »
I vomited after surgery, it wasn't too bad. I had told them that morphine makes me vomit, and I had planned on refusing morphine, but the nurse gave me some before I realized what she was doing. I literally said "what was that?" , and started puking. I refused any more after that and didn't puke again.