Author Topic: How badly do I need jaw surgery + more questions  (Read 2220 times)

Armada

How badly do I need jaw surgery + more questions
« on: May 08, 2016, 05:06:02 PM »
I'm 22, realised I had this problem and it's depressed me for a while.
There's a lot of research I have to do but any key points that you more experienced people can inform me about would be very useful.

My questions:
I live in London, what are the best clinics to go to for a consult?

On a scale of 1-10, how f**ked is my jaw? I see people on here with minor problems and obvious cases of BDD and it amazes me how we all think our problems are so much worse than they are in reality. I think my jaw is objectively awful and requires surgery, but I want a non biased opinion as well.

Is it possible to have this surgery so that my lower lip actually aligns with my upper lip? I have a pic where I jut out my jaw, is this a reasonable expectation of a result?

Is this all genetic or is it based on environment as well (mouth breathing etc). I guess it's different for everyone but my mother has a similar profile although it doesn't look as bad since her face is different, so it's probably genetic?

Will I need to get extractions? I did have orthodontics and have had 2 pre molar extractions. I don't think this has made any difference to my profile/face, but it probably didn't help. I don't want to get any more teeth extracted anyway to mitigate all risks. 

And finally, what procedure(s) am I looking at with this profile? I don't really have any functional problems, despite my teeth being a bit crowded. Also my nose is quite f**ked, it's a deviated septum as well as big, which might be related to this issue.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

ditterbo

Re: How badly do I need jaw surgery + more questions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 05:18:23 PM »
I'm no expert (not even close) but had a consult or two and been a lurker for about 30 seconds.. your nose will get corrected at the same time as bimax.  Your teeth are crowded - is that from neglecting to wear a retainer after the orthodontics? 

I'm pretty sure everyone here will recommend bimax for you, just based on the obvious skeletal malocclusion.  I take it though your not experiencing any real functional issues at this point, other than the crowded teeth, that you're aware of? Have you done an airway eval? You may also have some mild to moderate sleep apnea from that jaw.  Hopefully I don't have BDD, hah, but I think I was only mildly better off than you before I sort of camaflouged the problem with a 12mm chin implant + rhinoplasty.  Unfortunately my teeth are pretty decent, a smidge into class 2.

Armada

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 05:28:49 PM »
I'm no expert (not even close) but had a consult or two and been a lurker for about 30 seconds.. your nose will get corrected at the same time as bimax.  Your teeth are crowded - is that from neglecting to wear a retainer after the orthodontics? 

I'm pretty sure everyone here will recommend bimax for you, just based on the obvious skeletal malocclusion.  I take it though your not experiencing any real functional issues at this point, other than the crowded teeth, that you're aware of? Have you done an airway eval? You may also have some mild to moderate sleep apnea from that jaw.  Hopefully I don't have BDD, hah, but I think I was only mildly better off than you before I sort of camaflouged the problem with a 12mm chin implant + rhinoplasty.  Unfortunately my teeth are pretty decent, a smidge into class 2.

Yeah my nose looks normal when I jut my jaw out, and I know with bimax it would look better. Yes I didn't wear my retainer after a year, only my lower teeth are crowded though. Eventually the teeth will regress to their old places though since braces don't fully solve the problem.

I don't experience any sleep problems, I get to sleep pretty quickly and it's usually uninterrupted. Haven't done an airway eval though.

kjohnt

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 12:18:57 AM »
IDK anything about surgeons outside of the U.S., but yes, you do need to have bimax surgery if you want to fix your profile.

thinkingme

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 03:49:45 AM »
U need minimum lower jaw surgery but u can get refused if your bite is fine. And if your bite not fine dont go camouflage orthodontics(probably u did) it will f**k up your profile. How about your molar relationship.

Armada

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 05:07:41 AM »
U need minimum lower jaw surgery but u can get refused if your bite is fine. And if your bite not fine dont go camouflage orthodontics(probably u did) it will f**k up your profile. How about your molar relationship.

Well orthodontics were only done to straighten my teeth, the bite didn't change. Molar relationship is fine as well. Maybe both jaws are recessed so the bite profile is fine? Idk if that would warrant surgery though

thinkingme

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 05:50:50 AM »
Well orthodontics were only done to straighten my teeth, the bite didn't change. Molar relationship is fine as well. Maybe both jaws are recessed so the bite profile is fine? Idk if that would warrant surgery though

if molar relationship is class 1 U maybe get 2 premolar extract more.We need see your teeth or consult some orthos before decide. And pls dont search everything on internet like me. U end with worsen ur mental health. Search good orthos or surgeon who did jaw surgerys successful.

Rikenen

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 02:28:07 PM »
Piet Haers or Paul Johnson

The former will be blunt and direct with you on your issues.