Author Topic: has anyone gone through surgery alone?  (Read 2131 times)

alone4surgery

has anyone gone through surgery alone?
« on: May 18, 2016, 07:31:52 AM »
I am not close to my family (we had a falling out) and will probably be doing this surgery alone. I have friends that can help take care of me when I get home, but I will be alone for the hospital portion. Has anyone experienced this?

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
Re: has anyone gone through surgery alone?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 07:37:42 AM »
yes, many times

thinkingme

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 11:43:16 AM »
yes, many times

i think at least u need someone first 2 day

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »
no you do not

alone4surgery

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 03:11:41 AM »
even for double jaw surgery? how did you get to the hospital and back? did you take care of yourself at home?

marcus3415

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 08:27:30 AM »
You should have someone with you to take care of you in my opinion.

needadvancement

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 09:56:38 AM »
I'll go in alone soon and have a relative pick me up when I'm ready afterwards. Will get the help I need at home. I don't think the loneliness for surgery is a good thing you should receive emotional support from loved ones atleast.

marcus3415

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 10:04:30 PM »
Definitely agree with this. Makes recovery less difficult and emotionally straining

TMKA

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 06:46:27 AM »
My wife took good care of me. It would have been much tougher if I had to do everything by myself. Just the cleaning and rinsing of your mouth is difficult, let alone preparing the nutrition and pain meds and ice packs and other little things you don't think about. If you don't have anyone, make sure you have all your nutrition and stuff ready beforehand. You may want to practice feeding yourself with a syringe, it's messier than you would think. Drinkable yogurts work well. Be prepared, you don't want to have to run to the store all swelled up and drooling everywhere.

Dharma

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 02:42:11 PM »
I went through my genio completely solo.  I went through my recent MMA with limited assistance both in the hospital and when at home. I had some friends the first few days here and there.  Regardless of what anyone says, having some around the clock help for the first few days is def something you should shoot for at a minimum.  Longitudinal support, both for activities of daily living as well as the more intangible things like emotional support, are important. 

Can you get through it alone, def.  Is is optimal, def not. Depending on what you're having done and how you are doing post-op, I would go so far as to even say it is unsafe to not have some company until you are through the very acute recovery stage (first couple nights maybe?).