Author Topic: Plastic surgery(implants) or jaw surgery?  (Read 1080 times)

UnderMunch

Plastic surgery(implants) or jaw surgery?
« on: May 27, 2016, 11:14:39 AM »
Hey guys!

I'm new to this forum and wondering if anyone can give me a competent answer or lead me to another post about on this topic, as I just can't seem to find anything anywhere else:

I'm experiencing a situation where I feel as if the lower third of my face is not proportional in length and forward projection when I close my mouth, teeth together. In photos, I always jut my jaw to balance it out(I'm sure many of you are familiar with that).

But after reading about maxillofacial surgery, I'm starting to wonder whether I may be suffering from some sort of underdevelopment in my lower jaw?

I can say as much, as the teeth in my upper jaw are perfectly straight with the exception of one front tooth(without orthodontics/braces), and I always get compliments on my big wide smile. The teeth in my lower jaw are also fine, except there is no room for the 4 frontmost teeth, so they are crooked and squished together(if I go them corrected with braces the dentist would have to take away som of the enamel on the sides of them to make them fit).

When you look at my face in profile(teeth together), there isn't any indication of a recessed jaw, no sagging skin, and yet the chin isn't protruding either though. So I guess it's a completely normal jawline, not great or awful.

So I what I am asking- Is there such a thing as perfectly healthy malocclusion where the person simply has a very small jaw size, something that could only be corrected by a sliding genioplasty or implants, but wouldn't benefit from any type of jaw surgery? If yes, then what would this condition be known as?

ditterbo

Re: Plastic surgery(implants) or jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 08:33:36 AM »
You'll get better answers with an actual ceph x-ray, image of your profile and/or bite, etc... block out whatever you want.  I'd be curious in this answer too.

thinkingme

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 09:15:38 AM »
post ur jaw teeth or ceph or something we can say something. because everything u said so general there is so much angles. U can have good bite with bad teeth angles like me. Or just 2 small jaw like someone else.

kjohnt

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:50:41 PM »
A sliding genio or chin implant can be used when a person has a good maxillo-mandibular relationship but simply has a weak chin because the gonian, or "button" didn't develop as much as needed.  I don't know there is a formal name for the condition of having a weak chin.

Your post is contradictory:
"I feel as if the lower third of my face is not proportional in length and forward projection when I close my mouth... In photos, I always jut my jaw to balance it out"
"there isn't any indication of a recessed jaw... I guess it's a completely normal jawline"

Here's the deal - if your four lower incisors are "crooked and squished together" and an ortho explained you'd need interproximal reduction to make them fit once straightened, then your lower arch isn't big enough to support your teeth.  This could be due to large teeth, but I'm going to take a guess that you have a short mandible given your first quote above.  I'm also going to guess your lowers are proclined to some degree. 

But without any visuals to reference I could be totally off.  So yeah +1 for going back to that ortho and asking for cephalometric x-rays to be taken.  Then post them.