Author Topic: My sliding(double) Genioplasty (06-27-16)  (Read 10883 times)

needadvancement

My sliding(double) Genioplasty (06-27-16)
« on: June 24, 2016, 08:51:47 AM »
This is supposed to be the end of my journey. Some of you remember my treatments(wilckodontics last year) my goal was to get camouflage treatments to improve the couple of aesthetic things that bothered me since I was a kid.

Monday I'm gonna get a SG with a significant vertical and forward movement. As you can see in the photos below I lack a lot of vertical height on the chin and both lips are way in front of the chin. Hoping to get that fixed(along with other things that I think this simple surgery will do for my face but I don't want to get my hopes up).
http://i.imgur.com/gUhCLSq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UHw9hLD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yy2YA4h.jpg

Keep in mind I stil have facial hair in those pictures so trust me when I say my chin looks even more pathetic clean shaven(haven't shaved the beard in like 3 years so I will do that again soon).

But I am preparing for the worst. A lot of things could go wrong and I am taking a gamble. This isn't a world renowned surgeon, just a good maxillofacial surgeon near my home who has gained my trust(did a good job with my corticotomy, wisdom teeth removal etc.) and with him I get most of the costs covered by insurance. I decided to do this instead of traveling and spending a lot of money on this. I will keep updating this.

cantstop

Re: My sliding(double) Genioplasty (06-27-16)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 01:39:17 PM »
great decision. good luck

I'm also going to see a maxfac near my home, i don't have the money to travel and go to a "famous" surgeon.  is this really thar bad? lol

marcus3415

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 04:34:40 PM »
Look I agree you need an SG but I really wouldn't get it done by a regular Oral Surgeon.

You definitely want a Surgeon who is very comfortable with doing this procedure. It's not THAT simple of a procedure. Where are you from?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 06:25:01 PM »
Look I agree you need an SG but I really wouldn't get it done by a regular Oral Surgeon.

You definitely want a Surgeon who is very comfortable with doing this procedure. It's not THAT simple of a procedure. Where are you from?
Maybe it's just my s**t luck but "the best guy in the state" did statistically the safest jaw surgery on me and left me with absolutely MASSIVE nerve damage. 

So you never know.   

Op had corticotomy. It's not trivial, few surgeons do them, so he should be competent.   (OTOH, a world class surgeon told me it's not stable).

cantstop

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »
Maybe it's just my s**t luck but "the best guy in the state" did statistically the safest jaw surgery on me and left me with absolutely MASSIVE nerve damage. 

So you never know.   

Op had corticotomy. It's not trivial, few surgeons do them, so he should be competent.   (OTOH, a world class surgeon told me it's not stable).

You had double jaw surgery? What movements did you have?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 08:25:47 PM »
You had double jaw surgery? What movements did you have?
No, that's the irony.  Lf1 only. The only reason I agreed to have surgery was because I had never heard of anyone with permanent upper lip numbness.

needadvancement

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 10:19:52 PM »

He has done SG's just not seperately he does them together with regular BSSO's. North Europe and here it's an implant country so I would need to travel abroad for a reputable cosmetic surgeon but I always hated that idea.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 10:36:38 PM »
He has done SG's just not seperately he does them together with regular BSSO's. North Europe and here it's an implant country so I would need to travel abroad for a reputable cosmetic surgeon but I always hated that idea.
Zarrinbal is a short flight away.

needadvancement

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 10:55:07 PM »
I probably would have if I went for a BSSO or chin wing but since it's a SG I compared risks and benefits(most costs covered, it's near home and I know the surgeon well) and decided on this. If it turns out to be a mistake I will definitely let it be known so others won't make the same mistake. If it's the right move I'll certainly let it know as well :D

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 11:13:42 PM »
I probably would have if I went for a BSSO or chin wing but since it's a SG I compared risks and benefits(most costs covered, it's near home and I know the surgeon well) and decided on this. If it turns out to be a mistake I will definitely let it be known so others won't make the same mistake. If it's the right move I'll certainly let it know as well :D
Mistake in what sense? Genioplasties are probably safer than BSSOs but nerve damage is still possible, the muscles may not be reseated properly and you may end up with ptosis, which looks really ugly. The lower lip may be drawn forward too much, so you end up showing a lot of lower teeth when talking -this is really ageing.
Your whole lower third looks short and your occlusal plane very flat.  Do you have good tooth show? Has your surgeon ruled out the possibility that you have short face syndrome (you would then need cw rotation and both jaws advanced).

needadvancement

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 11:28:02 PM »
Mistake in what sense? Genioplasties are probably safer than BSSOs but nerve damage is still possible, the muscles may not be reseated properly and you may end up with ptosis, which looks really ugly. The lower lip may be drawn forward too much, so you end up showing a lot of lower teeth when talking -this is really ageing.
Your whole lower third looks short and your occlusal plane very flat.  Do you have good tooth show? Has your surgeon ruled out the possibility that you have short face syndrome (you would then need cw rotation and both jaws advanced).

Mistake in the sense of what you just mentioned and not liking the results, but like you said it could still happen with a well known surgeon. He did say that nerve problems are only usual for people who get double jaw surgery and I should be fine. Also very little tooth show and my lips protrude, so apparently I have more 'room' than average for vertical advancement for the soft tissue. I don't know why my chin turned out so short, at this point I'll take any improvement.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 11:39:52 PM »
Mistake in the sense of what you just mentioned and not liking the results, but like you said it could still happen with a well known surgeon. He did say that nerve problems are only usual for people who get double jaw surgery and I should be fine. Also very little tooth show and my lips protrude, so apparently I have more 'room' than average for vertical advancement for the soft tissue. I don't know why my chin turned out so short, at this point I'll take any improvement.
I mean upper tooth show.

needadvancement

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 04:13:53 AM »
I mean upper tooth show.

Oh, not much no. I do "need" a BSSO but I somehow adapted and never had problems like TMJ or sleep apnea. I could always get it in the future though and this surgery wouldn't change that.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 04:44:46 AM »
Oh, not much no. I do "need" a BSSO but I somehow adapted and never had problems like TMJ or sleep apnea. I could always get it in the future though and this surgery wouldn't change that.
Jaw surgery which changes the vertical dimension of the face ie. Fixing a short or a long face usually has the most dramatic effect. I hope you are not missing out. Good luck on Monday anyway.
I'm just concerned that you may be underwhelmed by the result and if god forbid you have complications, you may be too afraid of having the surgery that you really need afterwards (sort if where I'm at now).

needadvancement

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 06:24:46 AM »
Jaw surgery which changes the vertical dimension of the face ie. Fixing a short or a long face usually has the most dramatic effect. I hope you are not missing out. Good luck on Monday anyway.
I'm just concerned that you may be underwhelmed by the result and if god forbid you have complications, you may be too afraid of having the surgery that you really need afterwards (sort if where I'm at now).

I appriciate what you're saying and it's true, the best results would come from a bsso type of jaw surgery. But I believe that I can reach a satisfying improvement from this though I understand the limitations. The positives I see are: quick fix, my wallet won't notice it, it's in my hometown, if it's done properly I could reach the finish line and move on with life. Thank you.