Author Topic: My sliding(double) Genioplasty (06-27-16)  (Read 10885 times)

needadvancement

Re: My sliding(double) Genioplasty (06-27-16)
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2016, 06:26:08 AM »
I found a reputable JS clinic which offers a very diverse chin osteotomy. Apparently I can get the horizontal and vertical advancement as well as a widening component where they cut the chin piece in half as well. Got a consultation booked, will make a new thread in a couple of weeks so this one is finished.

marcus3415

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 08:38:09 AM »
I got a SG during bsso & Lf1 and was also left with kind of a pointy chin as well. mine overadvanced a bit. i have a feeling 2 sgs would be tough given risk of numbness and mentalis strain

asphyxia

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 05:24:11 AM »
I got a SG 9 months ago and I also get that feeling that it could have been advanced further,or my chin widened with a transverse osteotomy or some kind of onlay. Maybe braces to recreate an overjet that has been previously corrected, then BSSO?
Anyway, keep us updated ;)
Many people get that feeling after a first SG

needadvancement

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 09:35:13 AM »
I got a SG 9 months ago and I also get that feeling that it could have been advanced further,or my chin widened with a transverse osteotomy or some kind of onlay. Maybe braces to recreate an overjet that has been previously corrected, then BSSO?
Anyway, keep us updated ;)
Many people get that feeling after a first SG

I actually took special notice of your posts before going into this, so I did anticipate that it could become pointy or that I'd be dissatisfied with the advancement. So I gotta thank you for bringing that realistic concern into this site because I am not devastated or even unhappy right now. But still, once it happens you're still stuck into the mindset of surgery-planning, and I was hoping I would have been freed from that mental prison after the surgery.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
I don't see the pointiness.

rrrrttteww

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 01:32:10 PM »
It honestly looks great from the last picture you posted. I would need to see more pics such as profile to judge completely though. It's easy to be too caught up in looks if you hang around this forum too much. Take a step back and reflect on it. You might be experiencing "post purchase dissonance".

One question. You said that the doc shaved down your gum when you had the SG, to correct something from the wilckodontics procedure. How did that turn out?

cantstop

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 03:29:32 PM »
Doesn't look pointy at all wtf

mike888miller

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 03:58:26 PM »
which angle where you aiminmg for ie how did you gage how much mm advancement you would get? and how much did you manage to get?

asphyxia

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2016, 10:49:07 AM »
I actually took special notice of your posts before going into this, so I did anticipate that it could become pointy or that I'd be dissatisfied with the advancement. So I gotta thank you for bringing that realistic concern into this site because I am not devastated or even unhappy right now. But still, once it happens you're still stuck into the mindset of surgery-planning, and I was hoping I would have been freed from that mental prison after the surgery.

Well, I'm glad my experience was useful to you at least.
As you pointed out, mine is well done, but not pronounced enough for me to finally feel "safe about it".
I know how disheartening it can be to still google the same things you did before the operation, and how thinking about operating once more for 2 or 3 mm or so feels like a gamble.
But it is also true that it might take two to feel at last ok with it,and you become more educated as a patient.
You also feel more alone as you go through the process for a second time, because people just don't get it anymore.

Anyway, you've got to keep going :)

needadvancement

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 12:01:34 PM »
Before and afters:
https://s31.postimg.org/bziyb6d9n/SG_before_after_profile.jpg

This is the first time I've actually looked at before and after pics side by side and the difference is much more obvious than just looking at sole before-pics. How soon the brain forgets lol. Doc did alright.

@rrrrttteww, gums are still swollen so I'm not sure yet..
@mike888miller, with photoshop I think 7mm forward and down looked best. I got 4x4mm from this surgery and he says tissue might not advance the same amount as the bone..

As for the pointyness, I think I should say narrow instead. But on pictures from a distance it seems to look ok..I don't know why the chin still looks small and narrow when looking in the mirror though.

asphyxia

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2016, 04:51:35 AM »
You're right, mine is still narrow from some angles as well.
I think it has to do with the bone mass underneath, as my bone frame is thin in general (I'm a woman).
You should definitely seek thickness and width instead of some more projection.
The question is : how (without any implants).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing about your next consult.

needadvancement

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2016, 10:17:45 AM »
You're right, mine is still narrow from some angles as well.
I think it has to do with the bone mass underneath, as my bone frame is thin in general (I'm a woman).
You should definitely seek thickness and width instead of some more projection.
The question is : how (without any implants).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing about your next consult.

I believe I have found that method(no implant for me ever). It's over 5 weeks untill I get to speak to that surgeon out of town, untill then I'm trying to read info on it but it's difficult to find anything. Bobbit has told me about a surgeon who showed results from this method which looked good so that's good.

But it is also true that it might take two to feel at last ok with it,and you become more educated as a patient.
You also feel more alone as you go through the process for a second time, because people just don't get it anymore.

So true. The surgery itself I don't worry about anymore, but yeah people will think it's crazy to do this since they already opposed the first one. Plus now I need to travel a couple hours from home to get it done and I don't know how I'll get somebody to come with me for help while keeping this somewhat secret. Oh well, minor stuff in the long run. You only live once right. I'm young and I want to get this done so I'll enjoy it for a long time. :)

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2016, 06:07:07 PM »
I would want a bit more avdvancement honestly

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2016, 10:25:30 PM »
is it just that i have a preference for like exaggerated kirk douglas cheeks or do most doctors advance too little? I noticed this of Arnett and Gunson especially, huge advances of jaws but very conservative genioplasty even when it was safe to produce a strong chin.

Dudes, check it out every good looking person has a huge chin: Bridget Hall, Angie Harmon, Angelina Jolie, Jared Leto, jason Statham etc. etc. any of these people I bet look a bit exagerrated and freaky in person which is why they register so well on camera.

asphyxia

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2016, 04:27:59 AM »
is it just that i have a preference for like exaggerated kirk douglas cheeks or do most doctors advance too little? I noticed this of Arnett and Gunson especially, huge advances of jaws but very conservative genioplasty even when it was safe to produce a strong chin.

Dudes, check it out every good looking person has a huge chin: Bridget Hall, Angie Harmon, Angelina Jolie, Jared Leto, jason Statham etc. etc. any of these people I bet look a bit exagerrated and freaky in person which is why they register so well on camera.

You're so right, but a strong chin only looks good on a decent jaw.
Mine is slightly retruded, but has been camouflaged with extraction orthodontics when I was too young to care. I wis I knew then.
I've seen many exemples of people with too strong a chin on a weak jaw, and they didn't look that good.

But I think you can't go wrong by adding a little width, it looks better on most faces, that's why I thing need advancement is right by looking for a T osteotomy or something