Author Topic: distraction osteogenesis distrax to widen lower palate  (Read 24233 times)

pekay

Re: distraction osteogenesis distrax to widen lower palate
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 05:33:41 PM »
Its funny that in the after his midface projection doesnt seem as good and jaw is more narrow. Only things that were positive aesthetically were the bite and cheekbones from 3/4. Everything else seemed to get worse.

Upper jaw surgery seems kinda tricky and will never be fully figured out (as far as aesthetics) -just imo

Chopsticks > Spoons

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 11:02:45 AM »
Upper jaw surgery seems kinda tricky and will never be fully figured out (as far as aesthetics) -just imo

His cheekbones from 3/4 seem better in the after, maybe because of the wider palate ? His under eye area and jaw look significantly worse after IMO.

jusken

• Private
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2013, 09:11:05 PM »
I kinda like that guys' chin better before in the 3/4... yeah that's too bad.

I'm hoping my eyes don't look much more sunken like that after the swelling goes down.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:25:12 PM by jusken »

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 01:28:04 AM »
his gum recession is just atrocious.

overbiter

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2013, 06:36:12 AM »
his gum recession is just atrocious.

Yep, his teeth need a good whitening too. They look yellow and gross.

I just watched this video on dental implants. The whole process doesn't look too bad, it's a bit like the reverse of extractions. They just make an incision, drill/cut the jaw bone and then place a bolt for the tooth. It looks much easier than jaw surgery, and can be done under local anaesthetic.

Lazlo you should look into getting upper/lower distraction plus dental implants, to reverse your s**tty ortho work.

http://youtu.be/a6OFPadmOAI

pumukka

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2013, 04:06:47 PM »
Hi everyone, I haven't post in a while, so Distrax never got back to me, Mommaerts did recently, I have an appointment in a few months, hes very booked up!

He said he does widen the lower jaw and upper jaw, but first we need to have a consultation and go from there.

Another thing I was wondering was, sometimes patients that need sarpe and lefort get it done at the same time, i think its called a 2 or 3 piece lefort, is that possible to with the lower jaw? widen it and moving it at the same time?

Probably its best to first widen as that will change the arch and length by a few mm..

Sorry, english its not my first language so I'm not sure if it makes any sense to you what i just wrote...

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »
Hi everyone, I haven't post in a while, so Distrax never got back to me, Mommaerts did recently, I have an appointment in a few months, hes very booked up!

He said he does widen the lower jaw and upper jaw, but first we need to have a consultation and go from there.

Another thing I was wondering was, sometimes patients that need sarpe and lefort get it done at the same time, i think its called a 2 or 3 piece lefort, is that possible to with the lower jaw? widen it and moving it at the same time?

Probably its best to first widen as that will change the arch and length by a few mm..

Sorry, english its not my first language so I'm not sure if it makes any sense to you what i just wrote...

pumukka, yes it is possible to widen the upper during surgery either a 2 or 3 piece lefort. there are two problems with this though, 1) you can't widen that much, like less than 6 mm only and then the further problem is that it relapses around 30 percent or more. SO you mostly end up with max 3-4mm of widening IF YOU'RE LUCKY. By doing SARPE you can widen the upper up to 10-12 mm and there's till relapse but you get much more width. Also the multi-segment lefort is more risky, roots can die and you can lose a lot of blood, so finally it's not really worth it.

For the lower jaw it IS POSSIBLE to widen the lower, but this has a very high morbidity, i.e. more of then than not you will lose teeth to this procedure AND both the multi-segment lefort or widening the mandible through surgery must wreak havoc on the gums. It's better in both instances to do surgical expansion through distraction (which is what sarpe ultimately is) rather than in one fell swoop during surgery.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 09:52:41 AM »
Instead of making a new thread I'll just post this here:

Just how much could be achieved with distraction? If one was willing to undergo enough general anaesthesias would it not be possible to make the mandible wider, ramus longer, advanced further etc? Wouldn't this have the benefit then of having no signs of having been touched even on an X-ray? That it'd be just like you were born that way. Is this a stupid goal to have?
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2013, 01:35:49 PM »
Instead of making a new thread I'll just post this here:

Just how much could be achieved with distraction? If one was willing to undergo enough general anaesthesias would it not be possible to make the mandible wider, ramus longer, advanced further etc? Wouldn't this have the benefit then of having no signs of having been touched even on an X-ray? That it'd be just like you were born that way. Is this a stupid goal to have?

the problem with distraaction is it takes a long time. Mandible widening for example, you put the device in your lower gums, it's painful and irritating, like 10 times worse than braces. and then you have to keep it in there for 4-6 months --that's just for that procedure. etc. etc.

I hear you, it would be great, but i think it's unrealistic.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2013, 03:14:55 PM »
the problem with distraaction is it takes a long time. Mandible widening for example, you put the device in your lower gums, it's painful and irritating, like 10 times worse than braces. and then you have to keep it in there for 4-6 months --that's just for that procedure. etc. etc.

I hear you, it would be great, but i think it's unrealistic.

Ah, one can dream... if only our parents used orthotropics when we were children none of this would be necessary.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2013, 05:24:23 PM »
Ah, one can dream... if only our parents used orthotropics when we were children none of this would be necessary.

I wouldn't blame your parents. It's like blaming the past for any number of things which you may or may never have known about. The chances of them finding a dentist/orthodontist/practitioner who would have known about any of this or even jaw surgery etc.. is almost nil.

Haiku

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2013, 06:39:27 AM »
 I agree, sometimes, extractions can damage a face. But there are people who have had premolars extracted and still look good. Catherine Zeta-Jones has a nice smile in my opinion and she had 2 premolars extracted. Hedi Klum had teeth extracted also but i'm not sure how many..
 Ofcourse, i'm against teeth extraction but i just wanted to say that not everyone's faces will end up looking worse after this treatment. When there's a skeletal discrepancy, extractions can only accentuate the existing problem. And not only extractions can change the shape face but braces alone can do that too, especially traditional train tracks - since these things are moving teeth back and tilt them vertically (miniscrews anchorage would prevent that tho). Bad habits such as mouth breathing, tongue thrusting or thumb sucking will progressively damage faces, if not stopped early. Children have many options but for adults with moderate to severe facial deformity, jaw surgery is the only solution (imo).
 Excuse my english   :-[

CK

• Private
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2013, 01:28:32 PM »
extractions are definitely unhealthy but i dont think it can turn someone ugly or bad looking. tongue thrust, palate not forming properly which triggers the growth of the upper jaw (and areas of the face that cannot be meaningful fixed through jaw surgery) can have a devastating affect.

both my parents had extractions and they looked fine at my age. i would have gladly exchanged everything i have for extractions. i am seriously jealous.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »
I agree, sometimes, extractions can damage a face. But there are people who have had premolars extracted and still look good. Catherine Zeta-Jones has a nice smile in my opinion and she had 2 premolars extracted. Hedi Klum had teeth extracted also but i'm not sure how many..
 Ofcourse, i'm against teeth extraction but i just wanted to say that not everyone's faces will end up looking worse after this treatment. When there's a skeletal discrepancy, extractions can only accentuate the existing problem. And not only extractions can change the shape face but braces alone can do that too, especially traditional train tracks - since these things are moving teeth back and tilt them vertically (miniscrews anchorage would prevent that tho). Bad habits such as mouth breathing, tongue thrusting or thumb sucking will progressively damage faces, if not stopped early. Children have many options but for adults with moderate to severe facial deformity, jaw surgery is the only solution (imo).
 Excuse my english   :-[

your english is great! I don't think extractions can turn someone from good looking to ugly, but there will be a perceptible difference in the negative direction. Even those models you mentioned, their smiles look narrower as a result of extractions. What is worse though is that extractions severely damage your gums. If you have them when you're young it's okay because the gums are growing and more resilient. Everyone who has had extractions as an adult I've seen has had severe gum problems (which lead to losing teeth) and loss of interdental papilla, too much space between roots, and even worse, the palate space becomes smaller so your tongue feels trapped.
I've even seen the ortho do the extraction on his assistant and all these things happened to her --loss of gum tissue, trapped tongue, her teeth are straight, but her smile looks horrible.

tons of celebrities have crowding and i often wondered why they didn't just get braces, now i know. receding gums or dark triangles and a narrow smile, look MUCH MUCH MUCH worse than crowding.

Haiku