Author Topic: Distraction Osteogenesis of the Mandible Treatment & Management  (Read 1464 times)

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
This article is fairly new, it says it was updated in March 2016.  I read it although its a little technical for me it sounds as if the authors feel that most if not all jaw problems can be fixed with DO without compromising nerve function.  They even mention successfully treating OSA (sleep apena).   Why aren't more surgeons using this???

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/844837-treatment#d9
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

PloskoPlus

Re: Distraction Osteogenesis of the Mandible Treatment & Management
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 02:03:59 PM »
This article is fairly new, it says it was updated in March 2016.  I read it although its a little technical for me it sounds as if the authors feel that most if not all jaw problems can be fixed with DO without compromising nerve function.  They even mention successfully treating OSA (sleep apena).   Why aren't more surgeons using this???

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/844837-treatment#d9
You will need 2 surgeries instead of one. It's only needed when the required movement is huge.

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 11:05:44 AM »
You will need 2 surgeries instead of one. It's only needed when the required movement is huge.

What are the two surgeries?  Putting in the DO equiptment and taking it out?  Its still sounds better than surgery with possible nerve damage. 
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 01:53:58 PM »
What are the two surgeries?  Putting in the DO equiptment and taking it out?  Its still sounds better than surgery with possible nerve damage.
An osteotomy is still required. The nerve will be stretched slower, that's true, but I'm not sure if that's the cause of most of the nerve damage associated with lower jaw surgery. Anyway, unless you need over 20mm of movement, no surgeon will distract you if he can do the same in a single surgery.