Author Topic: Is anybody here with no nerve damage after jaw surgery?  (Read 2785 times)

cantstop

Is anybody here with no nerve damage after jaw surgery?
« on: June 26, 2016, 02:57:56 PM »
im new on the forum so I'm not sure but seems like getting jaw surgery without getting nerve damage is actually rare?

PloskoPlus

Re: Is anybody here with no nerve damage after jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 04:45:53 PM »
im new on the forum so I'm not sure but seems like getting jaw surgery without getting nerve damage is actually rare?
There is always some damage.   For those who claim not to have any, it's simply small enough to be below their perception.

ditterbo

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 04:50:37 PM »
When we talk nerve damage, is it implied to be only sensation numbness and not motor nerve damage?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 05:00:06 PM »
When we talk nerve damage, is it implied to be only sensation numbness and not motor nerve damage?
Sensation.

cantstop

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 05:33:35 PM »
There is always some damage.   For those who claim not to have any, it's simply small enough to be below their perception.

Is it really that bad to live with some nerve damage though? I mean, I know it must really suck at first but does it really affect your daily life?

Right now I think I don't care if I get nerve damage but it's easier said than done

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 06:26:23 PM »
Is it really that bad to live with some nerve damage though? I mean, I know it must really suck at first but does it really affect your daily life?

Right now I think I don't care if I get nerve damage but it's easier said than done

Losing your sense of taste would surely suck, don't you think? It's rare, but it does happen.

The most common nerve problem is lower lip and/or chin numbness. People who have it, claim they stop noticing it after a while. Which sort of makes sense as the lower lip is not very mobile. Another relatively common issue is numb gums, teeth, sometimes the palate.  These are the ones people complain about the least.

I have numbness in my upper lip and cheek. It is very rare.  No surface numbness (thank God), but deep seated numbness. I find it unbearable. 

It's up to you whether you think the risks are worth it. If you have no functional issues, generally like the way you look, but just want to look better, I would not do it.

cantstop

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 07:09:18 PM »
Losing your sense of taste would surely suck, don't you think? It's rare, but it does happen.

The most common nerve problem is lower lip and/or chin numbness. People who have it, claim they stop noticing it after a while. Which sort of makes sense as the lower lip is not very mobile. Another relatively common issue is numb gums, teeth, sometimes the palate.  These are the ones people complain about the least.

I have numbness in my upper lip and cheek. It is very rare.  No surface numbness (thank God), but deep seated numbness. I find it unbearable. 

It's up to you whether you think the risks are worth it. If you have no functional issues, generally like the way you look, but just want to look better, I would not do it.

Sorry to hear about that, it really sucks that we have to risk nerve damage just tu correct our bites

I have an overbite and I have to be always jutting and if I don't, my face becomes shorter and fat even if my body fat % is really low. I'm extremely self conscious about my profile, and jutting at all times sucks. I guess I'll have to take the risk.

TMKA

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 08:56:11 AM »
I have some lip and chin numbness, but I definitely think it was worth it. And it continues to improve, It's only been 8 months since surgery.

ditterbo

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 07:16:21 PM »
Can Procaine injections help with motor nerve damage too?  Think I have a damaged depressor labii inferioris. (sorry I'm obviously a little desperate to fix my problems here)

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 11:33:48 AM »
Nerve damage is part of the territory. I've not heard anyone complain about loss of feeling to chin/lower lip. Upper lip is rare but does happen. Palate is rare and more annoying because your burn yourself. Gums is fairly common but people don't seem to care. The more surgery you get, the greater the chances of nerve damage. Sliding genio, for example, increases the odds of permanent nerve loss to lip/chin by 40%, though figures vary. The greater the movements the greater the chance of loss. Loss is not black and white, typically it's patch with some areas lost and some unaffected and usually described as a range, maybe hot/cold sensation but not touch for example. No way to avoid damage to the maxilla, it has to be cut but the graft material used can affect how well it heals. Age may be a risk factor but some studies show it only affects the rate of recovery not the chances. Over 40 it is at least believe that changes are harder to acclimate too but it's a psyhcological thing. Bottom line: it'll happen to some degree and you'll most likely adjust to it easily, especially knowing there's a very good chance most of it will come back. And if it doesn't, you'll likely be used to it by then.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 03:54:11 PM »
It's been almost 2 years since my surgery. I'm not even close to feeling normal.